Z21 Loaded Weight Distribution?

I have always had better speed and handling putting my heavier tackle and gear as far as I could to the rear of my previous boats. I never had a 21 foot boat before and or any boat with power poles and 4 batteries. We have a 2018 Z21 with dual consoles, 250 Pro XS, 2 8’ blades and 36 volt Ultrex. Carry more tackle than needed. I am wanting to know how other Z21 owners have found to be the best way to spread the load or if it even makes any difference on a boat this big. As of right now all the rear storage is empty. All the tackle and gear are up front in the 3 middle compartments. The boat seems fine loaded this way and leaves lots of room for clothing etc. I am wanting to know if there is better handling or performance to be had by loading some stuff to the rear before I go the the trouble doing it. I figured this big boat was starting out with plenty of weight near the rear of the boat to begin with. I love the boat just want to see if others load different with different results. Any first hand information would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I put all my lighter stuff in the front and heavier stuff in the back of my z21. Full tournament load half fuel by myself 71-73 with a partner 68-70. That's with 52" 36v ultrex and 2 10ft poles

3. Member
    Thanks for that information. From what you have said these bigger boats run the same no matter how they are loaded. Our numbers are pretty much identical.

4. Member
    That's good to know. I figured these big heavy boats needed as much bow lift as they could get so figured this was best way to achieve. But that obviously didn't matter lol.

5. Member
    I never owned a boat with it being so heavy in the back to start with from batteries, pumps, poles. I figured it had enough weight in the back so I loaded it all to the front. I am running a Croxton worked 25 Tempest Plus and bow lift is not a problem. I have a 24 Fury that also does good. These boats are great fishing machines and will carry all you can put in it.

6. Member
    I've heard from several people there Z series did not lose any speed by adding weight to the back end and pose batteries or anything some said they gain speed I know when I put my two talents on the back of my z19 I'm still running the same speed I have not done anything or just at the motor I can still run the same speed as if before I had them

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I have always had better speed and handling putting my heavier tackle and gear as far as I could to the rear of my previous boats. I never had a 21 foot boat before and or any boat with power poles and 4 batteries. We have a 2018 Z21 with dual consoles, 250 Pro XS, 2 8’ blades and 36 volt Ultrex. Carry more tackle than needed. I am wanting to know how other Z21 owners have found to be the best way to spread the load or if it even makes any difference on a boat this big. As of right now all the rear storage is empty. All the tackle and gear are up front in the 3 middle compartments. The boat seems fine loaded this way and leaves lots of room for clothing etc. I am wanting to know if there is better handling or performance to be had by loading some stuff to the rear before I go the the trouble doing it. I figured this big boat was starting out with plenty of weight near the rear of the boat to begin with. I love the boat just want to see if others load different with different results. Any first hand information would be appreciated.

Zeke,

Are you running a jack plate, and if so, what setback ? Curious as I am looking at a Z21 and debating the pro-con of 6, 8,or 12 inch setback. Not so worried so much about maxing top end speed, more concerned with ability to handle both skinny water and big water/waves.

Thanks!

Nitrojohn

8. Member
    All z21's have 12" setback. With my 24 fury set at 3 1/4" below pad I have no problem handling ruff waves. I've been on cayuga lake with 5' rollers with zero problem.

9. Member
    My Z21 came with 12” setback and a hole shot plate? It also came with a 24 Fury prop set at 3” below pad. I am now running 2 3/4” below pad with a 25 Tempest Plus prop. As far as I know all Z21 boats come with a 12 “ setback plate. I guess it might make a difference on your motor choice.

10. Member
    Elisha and Zeke,

Thanks for replies. Helpful.

Nitrojohn