Steering Wheel Hub Removal

Above is my console as I am preparing to do a gauge relocation on my 2005 Z21 Comanche. As you can see, I need to cut out a section to re-locate my fuel gauge behind the blinker trim which is in the way. In doing so, I need to remove my steering wheel and the hub. I unscrewed the nut but the hub will not pull off. I tried reattaching the steering wheel with the nut off to pull off the hub but to no avail. I went to Auto-Zone to rent the steering wheel puller but that did not seem to fit my application.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the hub that you see in the picture. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Yes use a steering wheel puller. Put the center nut back on just enough the protect the threads. You will thread the steering wheel puller to the hub. I have also put the wheel back on, put your knees behind the wheel putting pressure on the wheel (forward) and with a hammer strike the center shaft (put the nut on to protect the threads).

3. Member
    Thanks John. Maybe the puller I had from Auto Zone was not the correct one or I just don't know how to use it. It seemed that bolts that come with the puller are too large and course to fit into the hub.

If I try pulling off with my knee, am I just striking the shaft where the nut attaches?

4. Member
    sent pm

5. Member
    Take your bolts that hold your steering wheel on and go to the hardware store and get longer bolts that match the threads on your bolts and get washers if you need them to keep the heads of the bolts from pulling through the steering wheel puller. That should be what you need.

The bolts are metric thread. Just get some at the hardware store long enough to screw into the hub and work with the puller. It comes off really easy once you have the setup.

You could make a puller with a piece of with a piece of 1/4" bar stock. Drill a hole in the middle and thread it for 1/4" bolt and two holes to line up with the holes in the hub for your metric bolts
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Banned
    Lube it up with penetrating oil, let it sit for a cpl of hrs then do the knee behind the wheel trick. That was the only way I could get mine off.

8. Member
    I used door shims.