Thread: Storing SHO

Storing SHO

Can any possible harm be done with the motor being stored tilted on the transom saver?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    I would think if the owners manual does not say not to store it that way then I would think it would not cause a problem.

They need to be stored at a positive trim angle anyway so on the motor toter should not be a problem

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

4. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    They need to be stored at a positive trim angle anyway so on the motor toter should not be a problem
    Why a positive trim angle? How much?

5. Member
    On the water boats store them trimmed fully up to get the skeg out of the water. They stay that way for weeks.

I do notice some water comes out if you trim all the way down. Once drained, maybe trim back up for storage?

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6 View Post
    Why a positive trim angle? How much?
    To keep oil from seeping under the rings and ending up in the cylinder head
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    To keep oil from seeping under the rings and ending up in the cylinder head
    ^^^^ right answer....leave mine hooked to the motor mate....no white smoke on start up.

8. Member
    Everyone, I've been following this and have a question. I have to store my boat outside (won't fit in garage). I do have a covered deck that covers about 85% of it and I have a very good travel cover and motor cover so no problem with water getting in the boat or engine cowling. Really only the engine and about two feet of the bow are not covered by the deck. My question, I always have trimmed my outboards as far down as possible so rain water won't sit in the prop. I was told this was especially important in the winter so water doesn't freeze in the prop and I was also told that trimmed all the down if possible is better for your lower trim unit and it keeps most of the trim cylinder shafts internal and out of the weather. Is the SHO a different animal or is what I've been told and practiced for 2 years wrong? Other than putting up with a little smoke at startup are there any other reasons to trim the engine up while on the trailer in storage? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Everyone, I've been following this and have a question. I have to store my boat outside (won't fit in garage). I do have a covered deck that covers about 85% of it and I have a very good travel cover and motor cover so no problem with water getting in the boat or engine cowling. Really only the engine and about two feet of the bow are not covered by the deck. My question, I always have trimmed my outboards as far down as possible so rain water won't sit in the prop. I was told this was especially important in the winter so water doesn't freeze in the prop and I was also told that trimmed all the down if possible is better for your lower trim unit and it keeps most of the trim cylinder shafts internal and out of the weather. Is the SHO a different animal or is what I've been told and practiced for 2 years wrong? Other than putting up with a little smoke at startup are there any other reasons to trim the engine up while on the trailer in storage? Thanks
    In your case I would store motor down as you have been doing in the winter but during warm weather leave a positive trim to the motor....just my $.02

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

When I had to store mine outside I still put the engine up on the toter, and covered the prop with a plastic bag and then a cover like this so water couldn't get in

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    I'm pretty sure the manual says to store the motor trimmed down.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    I'm pretty sure the manual says to store the motor trimmed down.
    Yes, in the manual it says to trailer and store the motor in a fully trimmed down position but if you can't trailer in a fully trimmed down position then a support is required. I have to keep mine at a pretty much level position in order to fit in my garage.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA