Thread: CPS error code

Question CPS error code

I’m looking at buying a boat with a 2015 Etec ho (250hp). On the engine report it shows two CPS alarms that occurred with thin the same minute. There have been approximately 11 hours put on the motor since the alarms.

Can anyone explain to me of this is something to look into?

Thank you
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Crankshaft Position Sensor, “CPS”. What was the code number? 16?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Crankshaft Position Sensor, “CPS”. What was the code number? 16?
    Yes, the alarm code was 16.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    From an old thread, but the master Seahorse summarizes perfectly - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1540
    ‘The CPS directs the show, if it don't work, nuttin' runs. It is one of the few electrical items that will keep an E-TEC from operating because it tells the computer that the flywheel is rotating and at what position each piston is.”

5. Scraps
    Could merely be out of adjustment. I remember one of my many dumdums was installing a new CPS and not setting the depth correctly. It cranked once to shear the face of the sensor off and made an eerie sound.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

See your dealer as a while back there was a batch of CPS sensors that were found not to meet Evinrude specs. The number of the CPS and the range of engines affected are from a service bulletin that your dealer has. Yours may or may not be within that affected
    range
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    See your dealer as a while back there was a batch of CPS sensors that were found not to meet Evinrude specs. The number of the CPS and the range of engines affected are from a service bulletin that your dealer has. Yours may or may not be within that affected
    range
    I spoke when th the dealer that I’m buying the engine through. He thinks the error code is from trying to start the engine with the throttle not in neutral. Seeing that there’s been 11 hours since the alarm occurred, I don’t think it’s an issue to worry about. Thanks for everyone’s response.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS