Stake Bed Pic Help

Dropped 3 stake beds in the lake today. Marked the location with the the 798 while still anchored but unable to identify them. Used the Go To function in the 798 for that way point but no luck. How far off could the GPS be?

They are two hole concrete blocks with several boards 4 to 5 feet long concreted in the holes.

This image is the only thing I could find that makes sense.
    On the Right SI image there are 3 strong returns just underneath where it says (Right 50). I thought that might be the 3 concrete blocks. They were dropped alongside each other. Very surprised I am having so much trouble finding them. Should I be able to see the boards to?

Bill
    Madison, Alabama
    1997 Fisher Spectrum Pro Avenger 17 Feet
    All Welded Aluminum
    798CI SI Version 6.300 with
    Lakemaster Mapping
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega DI+ GPS G4N with Mega 360

2. Member
    Those could be them, I would set my range to 30 and display only one side to see if that will make those returns more clear. I really do not know how accurate the gps in the unit is, I have a handheld that will get within I think 4ft.
    Last edited by fxdwgkd; 07-13-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ko4nrbs View Post
    Dropped 3 stake beds in the lake today. Marked the location with the the 798 while still anchored but unable to identify them. Used the Go To function in the 798 for that way point but no luck. How far off could the GPS be?

They are two hole concrete blocks with several boards 4 to 5 feet long concreted in the holes.

This image is the only thing I could find that makes sense.
    On the Right SI image there are 3 strong returns just underneath where it says (Right 50). I thought that might be the 3 concrete blocks. They were dropped alongside each other. Very surprised I am having so much trouble finding them. Should I be able to see the boards to?

Bill
    Is that with a HDSI transducer?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Yes
    Madison, Alabama
    All Welded Aluminum
    Lakemaster Mapping

Yes
    Since Imaging produces detail, the subjects have to be large enough to be recorded. Your stakes would be recorded as the individual pieces of wood instead of what you see visually as a collection on each block. That is why the blocks are recorded (larger parts).
    Looks like some of the boards are 1"X2". They would not be anymore visible than a 2" minnow on the 100' of side to side coverage you have it set to since they are vertical. If they were horizontal, they would be scanned for a longer period of time and probably be displayed so you can see them.
    I have seen some use Christmas trees and then can't find them---same reason, small parts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Since Imaging produces detail, the subjects have to be large enough to be recorded. Your stakes would be recorded as the individual pieces of wood instead of what you see visually as a collection on each block. That is why the blocks are recorded (larger parts).
    Looks like some of the boards are 1"X2". They would not be anymore visible than a 2" minnow on the 100' of side to side coverage you have it set to since they are vertical. If they were horizontal, they would be scanned for a longer period of time and probably be displayed so you can see them.
    I have seen some use Christmas trees and then can't find them---same reason, small parts.
    Thanks Wayne!!

I'll have to put all future stake beds near landmarks so I can easily find them. Open water isn't going to work.
    Bill
    Madison, Alabama
    All Welded Aluminum
    Lakemaster Mapping

Thanks Wayne!!

I'll have to put all future stake beds near landmarks so I can easily find them. Open water isn't going to work.
    Bill
    Even 6"-8" dock posts are not recorded long enough to be displayed very well. Typically their shadows are what you see.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    Those could be them, I would set my range to 30 and display only one side to see if that will make those returns more clear. I really do not know how accurate the gps in the unit is, I have a handheld that will get within I think 4ft.
    I've never seen a estimated position error that low, unless I had a stationary unit that did waypoint averaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I've never seen a estimated position error that low, unless I had a stationary unit that did waypoint averaging.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    I've had the same problem you are experiencing. I too have sunk stake beds and had a hard time finding them. I found that by setting my SI width down to 20 feet (and I have a Gen1 at 800 mhz) it helps. But mostly what I see is the block, not the wood.

I have experimented with the idea of sonar reflectors, but have not had much luck so far. I've used multiple pop cans that have air in them as they sink; I've tried screen mesh inside a 5 gallon bucket and nothing I've tried so far has worked very well, if at all.

Anybody know what would make a good sonar target we could sink with our stakebeds???

Regards
    Rodney
    Last edited by Ramrod25; 07-14-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod25 View Post
    I've had the same problem you are experiencing. I too have sunk stake beds and had a hard time finding them. I found that by setting my SI width down to 20 feet (and I have a Gen1 at 800 mhz) it helps. But mostly what I see is the block, not the wood.

I have experimented with the idea of sonar reflectors, but have not had much luck so far. I've used multiple pop cans that have air in them as they sink; I've tried screen mesh inside a 5 gallon bucket and nothing I've tried so far has worked very well, if at all.

Anybody know what would make a good sonar target we could sink with our stakebeds???

Regards
    Rodney
    Quite simple, use large enough parts to have some substance that can be recorded while the Imaging pulses are passing over them.
    The only other choice is to go slower when scanning and/or use a faster Chart Speed so subjects are stretched.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    I've put out several stake beds and usually they show up better after being in the water several months. I agree with Wayne that is pretty small to give a good return. I like to scan stake beds by going slightly to the side of them.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing1 View Post
    I've put out several stake beds and usually they show up better after being in the water several months. I agree with Wayne that is pretty small to give a good return. I like to scan stake beds by going slightly to the side of them.
    Live and learn I guess!! All future ones I put out will be lined up with a prominent landmark. One area I found is along a bluff that has the old creek bed running parallel about 30 feet or so from it. Water is 20 to around 16 feet deep there and the bottom flattens out nicely. Much easier to find if not in open water.

I haven't given up on the ones I can't find easily. Will keep checking them until I can pinpoint them and get a more accurate Waypoint/Snapshot.
    Bill
    Madison, Alabama
    All Welded Aluminum
    Lakemaster Mapping

16. Member
    Live and learn I guess!! All future ones I put out will be lined up with a prominent landmark. One area I found is along a bluff that has the old creek bed running parallel about 30 feet or so from it. Water is 20 to around 16 feet deep there and the bottom flattens out nicely. Much easier to find if not in open water.

I haven't given up on the ones I can't find easily. Will keep checking them until I can pinpoint them and get a more accurate Waypoint/Snapshot.
    Bill
    Have you tried throwing a marker on the waypoint then using 2D on the trolling motor to pinpoint the stake bed? Might try that.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing1 View Post
    Have you tried throwing a marker on the waypoint then using 2D on the trolling motor to pinpoint the stake bed? Might try that.
    I did try that but ran out of time. I'll look for them again when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. Before I pulled up the anchor, after dropping them in, I set a waypoint. The 798 was on the bow using the transducer on the trolling motor. It appears that waypoint is not all that accurate. The stake beds are not around it. They can be seen as the 3 bright dots with SI off the east of the waypoint. Went looking to get them on 2D or DI but ran out of time.

When I find them I will drop a buoy on them and take a few snapshots of them for future reference.

Hoping the crappie will find them before I do!!

Bill
    Madison, Alabama
    All Welded Aluminum
    Lakemaster Mapping