Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tom brings up a very good point, you may have had a worked prop that was more like a 24 with plugs out
    That is a very heavy boat to expect a 25 to pull full RPM in the summer months
    I would start with only one plug with a large hole and go from there. I am surprised you could ever get that rig on plane with 3 plugs in it
    A detailed history and all pertinent info P to P rpm, Load etc. may help come up with some answers. Does it have pole on it? It is not unusual for new props to vary a full pitch as well a cup variations. I just bought a new 25 Fury that is tighter than my the 26 Fury I already had, thought I would pick up 200 RPM butt I lost 100 and the hole shot is much slower. Sent it off to Ronnie Gilberts to get it right, in his hands now.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castandblas2121 View Post
    Yes, exact prop. It was repaired(knicks,etc but no blue print work/etc performed). This new Tempest I have is flawless. I have a 25 Fury too; w/ new lower unit, my Fury has poor results too that I didn’t prior to damage
    I just looked up some comments about your rig and this is what is the conclusion...25P Tempest Plus, 25P Trophy Plus, 24P Fury & 25P Bravo 1 XS are all good props for that hull.

If you are turning a 25 tempest then you should be turning a 24 pitch Fury when it is a four blade. The 25P Bravo is a 24P from what I have learned. So 25P Fury is probably too much prop.

Maybe ( just a hypothesis ) your old lower unit was super sloppy and this one is a bit tighter because it is new? I know that sounds crazy but who knows - you may need to break it in a little. Again this comment is not based on any facts - just a thought. Also have someone put your hotfoot to the floor ( motor not running of course ) and see if the throttle body butterfly valve is all the way open.

Here is what I think is happening. I think your repaired prop was mistakenly turned into a 24P after repairing and hence your 25P Tempest is too much and so definitely your fury 25 is way too much for your setup. I think if you went to a 24 Fury it might resolve the issue. What WOT RPM are you running with the 25P props? What does the tempest run and what does the fury run. Tempest should be higher.

I cant think of anything else that can hinder your hole shot other than the prop and newer and tighter lower unit. Let us know what the mechanics find out.

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    I just looked up some comments about your rig and this is what is the conclusion...25P Tempest Plus, 25P Trophy Plus, 24P Fury & 25P Bravo 1 XS are all good props for that hull.

If you are turning a 25 tempest then you should be turning a 24 pitch Fury when it is a four blade. The 25P Bravo is a 24P from what I have learned. So 25P Fury is probably too much prop.

Maybe ( just a hypothesis ) your old lower unit was super sloppy and this one is a bit tighter because it is new? I know that sounds crazy but who knows - you may need to break it in a little. Again this comment is not based on any facts - just a thought. Also have someone put your hotfoot to the floor ( motor not running of course ) and see if the throttle body butterfly valve is all the way open.

Here is what I think is happening. I think your repaired prop was mistakenly turned into a 24P after repairing and hence your 25P Tempest is too much and so definitely your fury 25 is way too much for your setup. I think if you went to a 24 Fury it might resolve the issue. What WOT RPM are you running with the 25P props? What does the tempest run and what does the fury run. Tempest should be higher.

I cant think of anything else that can hinder your hole shot other than the prop and newer and tighter lower unit. Let us know what the mechanics find out.

This all brings up great points; I’ll def give this all a shot/looking in to.
    WOT w/ new lower unit & new Tempest Plus 25(all plugs) & Fury is only 5300-5500; I was able to get to my limit (5750) w/ my set up running both props no issue before insurance claim.
    2022 Phoenix 920 Elite Mercury 4-Stroke 250 ProXS

4. Member
    The EXACT replacement BRAND NEW Mercury Lower Unit will not cause the boat to run slower, or at a different RPM...….The RPM difference is due to how the prop was repaired and the individual that made the repairs.

Prop repair is an ART, there are prop shops that can make props LOOK good, but very few can make them PERFORM and LOOK good.

5. Member
    Borrower someones 24 Tempest or 24 Fury. (Tell them after you borrow it that you destroyed your lower unit - lol)

I think your problem is simply the prop.

Also for the hole shot you shoulf just take out 2 plugs to start and see if that will solve the hole shot problem.

6. Member
    Take the plugs out and try...that's the issue I'll bet

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Take the plugs out and try...that's the issue I'll bet
    ive tried my Fury that has no plugs and still same performance. Prior to whole ordeal, I could jump up easy w/ the same Fury(no plugs) & same pitch Tempest w/ all plugs. Hope to hear something tomorrow

Just a shot in the dark but could they have mistakenly got you a 1.62 gear ratio torque master? The higher gear ratio will make your hole shot suffer some.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthperf View Post
    Just a shot in the dark but could they have mistakenly got you a 1.62 gear ratio torque master? The higher gear ratio will make your hole shot suffer some.
    I've been wondering the same thing.

10. Member
    should be not TM on it its standard opti,check ratio and see if its 1:62 it will sure kill it, 859399T13 should be 1:75
    Last edited by JOE54; 07-23-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: brain dead, left out [ not]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would be doing several things here:

1. Look at RECEIPT for the gearcase. It has a FULL Part Number- confirm that it is the CORRECT Servicemaster Gearcase (this engine does NOT use a Torquemaster). SHOULD be 859399T13.

2. You MUST use PVS openings to achieve a good holeshot on your setup.

3. I believe you will find you are slightly over-propped. My experience has been 24P Fury or 24P Tempest Plus will put you in the upper end of the permissable RPM range.

4. INSPECT TRANSOM, JACKPLATE, ETC FOR DAMAGE. A skewed jackplate can have an adverse affect on performance.

5. INSPECT/REPLACE STRIKER PLATES (Likely worn).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would be doing several things here:

1. Look at RECEIPT for the gearcase. It has a FULL Part Number- confirm that it is the CORRECT Servicemaster Gearcase (this engine does NOT use a Torquemaster). SHOULD be 859399T13.

2. You MUST use PVS openings to achieve a good holeshot on your setup.

3. I believe you will find you are slightly over-propped. My experience has been 24P Fury or 24P Tempest Plus will put you in the upper end of the permissable RPM range.

4. INSPECT TRANSOM, JACKPLATE, ETC FOR DAMAGE. A skewed jackplate can have an adverse affect on performance.

5. INSPECT/REPLACE STRIKER PLATES (Likely worn).

I am checking on this. Serial# provides in original post is indeed what was installed. If this is a Torquemaster, it may have been misunderstood/misinterpreted of what was needed for replacement. Hopefully they make it right. I have never tried a 24p on either, funny how both of my 25p’s worked w/ great hole shot & other numbers before new install

13. Member
    When were the Power Pole Anchors installed?

Problem solved gentlemen.
    A few findings & some were suggested here. Mechanic performed a coil test & ended up discovering a bad/misfired spark plug; though brand new. Prop was also issue. Ran a 24p Tempest Plus & after changing the bad plug w/ this prop is a game changer; my old prop being repaired a couple times had almost 1/2” diff in size from this new one I own (embarrassed face emoji here).

Thanks to all that replied.

Boat is back at home; now I just need to trade/sell a 25 Tempest & a 25 Fury.
    Last edited by Castandblas2121; 07-23-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12