Motor Guide X5 won't turn off or change speeds

I was out on the water fishing and my trolling motor shut off. I was able to get it going for a bit by wiggling the plug so I assumed it needed a new one. I replaced the plug and receptacle. When I plugged it in the prop began to spin at full speed. I attempted to turn speed down with dial and nothing. I flipped the side toggle to off and it continues to spin. The only way to turn trolling motor off is to unplug it.

My guess is that I need to replace the control module under the foot pedal but not knowing anything about trolling motors, I do not want to throw a $250 part at it with only a guess.

Any thoughts?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    mine did the same and it was the control board, it was replaced under warranty at the time it went bad, it ran on high and would not cut off,it was a fun ride mine dont have a plug, just a master cutoff in the back and my co angler was to disy to find it as we went in circles
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Was it the control board on pedal or is there another one in lower unit?

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger360v87 View Post
    Was it the control board on pedal or is there another one in lower unit?
    mine was the board on the petal
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I had this happen two weeks ago. It had water in the lower unit. John set me up with new parts for the lower unit and it worked again. Unfortunately the next time out, it picked up a little more water. No issues yet but I noticed it had a few drops in there after the first outing.

6. Member
    The x5 control board is in the footpedal. this sounds like a control board issue
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]