Thread: 520 C or L????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fair enough...but in my mind unless the degree of deadrise changed or the demensions of the hull/pad/strakes/chines changed..I don't see how in the world it could make a substantial change in the ride of the boat. As I said though, I don't own one and haven't ridden in one, so its just an opinion...if yall are saying the L boats are better...good for the L guys.
    Last edited by dean c; 07-14-2018 at 05:18 PM.

2. Member
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH
    I too looked closely at both the C and L before buying. The big difference in price was the deciding factor and the Cup Package was a great deal. I have ridden in enough C boats to know that the ride is excellent and dry. I added the bottom plate to the Atlas jack plate and eliminated the backwash. As much as I wanted the latest and greatest from Ranger I could not justify the difference in price.

I applaud the L boat owners and hope to get a ride in one soon.
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S

3. Member
    I have a 2018 520C, I have not ridden in an L boat but have many friends having speed and getting on plane issues with Merc's.
    Old Boat - 2005 520DVX 2011 Merc 225 Pro XS, HDS 8 and 9 Touch, Bobs JP, 25p Tempest

Old Boat - 2018 Z520C Cup Package, 112 Ultrex, HDS 9 and 12 Carbon, Powerpoles, Merc 250 Pro XS, 25p Fury

Current - 2019 Z520C Cup 112 Ultrex, 4 Stroke 250 Pro XS Merc, Slidemaster JP, Powerpoles 23p Fury

4. Tico
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Fair enough...but in my mind unless the degree of deadrise changed or the demensions of the hull/pad/strakes/chines changed..I don't see how in the world it could make a substantial change in the ride of the boat. As I said though, I don't own one and haven't ridden in one, so its just an opinion...if yall are saying the L boats are better...good for the L guys.
    Now that the "L" guys can no longer deny the boat is slightly slower we are getting the "it rides better" story. Regardless of whether it rides better or goes faster/slower there is the $10,000 difference and no way is it worth it unless you have a strong preference for the L boat cap/appearance. Frankly, I think it is comical to think that it rides better based on my personal experiences in both boats.

5. Banned
    When they sit side by side the L sits higher....in rough water there is virtually no spray........also you never get water on back deck.... when you are going full pin and hit some boat wakes the boat is softer over those wakes and more stable

In my opinion all those factors constitute a better ride!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Here is something to consider per advice from a Ranger guy. On the L boat look at the lines in the interior. A lot of sharp right angles vs the curved turns in the C. Over time a concern about stress cracks, etc. Never seen an L up close but it’s worth a look to confirm.
    I know this is anecdotal, but I was in the market for a new to me boat and found a 2018 z521L nearby. Granted, it was a FLW touring pro's boat. But I noticed that there were stress cracks down around the cup holders in the floor. The angles in that area have much smaller radius than the c series boats. As a result, I decided not to get the boat even though it was a pretty good deal. I wound up with a c series boat and am very happy so far. Not to mention that I prefer the consmetics of the c over the L series.

7. Member
    The issue for me is you are locked in on motor brand on a "C" boat. I do not have a good merc dealer near me. I want/need a G2.

I love my Ranger but when it is time to upgrade (will be a while) it is looking like it may not be a ranger....
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I noticed that mine sits higher in the water vs my 2009 Z520. I haven't noticed a "night and day" difference in the ride between my old one and current one.

I'm not into constantly swapping out props to gain 1-2 mph and I rarely run WOT. I didn't buy my boat because of the speed capability or wanting to go 70+mph on the water, if I wanted to do that I need to be getting into boat racing, not fishing.... I run mine 95% of the time at the optimal cruising/fuel economy speed of 30-33 mph/3k rpms.

I like the look of the L over the C boats.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

9. Banned
    I prefer the look of the C personally. It seems to me like the chrome on the L would be harder to clean underneath it.

C

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    When they sit side by side the L sits higher....in rough water there is virtually no spray........also you never get water on back deck.... when you are going full pin and hit some boat wakes the boat is softer over those wakes and more stable

In my opinion all those factors constitute a better ride!!
    The C boats develop stress cracks as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12