Thumbs Up Rod and Reel Organization

Do you guys set up individual rods and reels for specific techniques, or spool several rigs with 12# test, several with 15# test, several with 17# test, etc...then just tie on as needed?

I set up for individual techniques, and carry over 20 rods and reels. Sometimes gets a little cluttered...

2. Member
    Several years ago, I had 5 identical combos running 50lb braid. Then I started using other lines and technique specific rods. Now I have around 12 combos that are fairly specific: rod, reel, and line. I agree, it can get cluttered!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

3. Member
    I used to only have three bass rods. One ml spinning rig a med and a mh casting rig.....but that was before bbc. Now i have too many and cringe at the thought this place has cost me in rods and reels...lol
    The more reading and more fishing I do the less versatile and more technique specific each combo I have becomes.

They are specific to a lure line weight rod and reel, some do a couple things like jerkbaits and swimjigs or Carolina rig and top water (spook type) probably won't need my Carolina rig and a spook the same day but the rod works for me and the high gear ratio and mono line are ideal for both...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    If I were smart, I'd carry half a dozen matching reels, on 7' med/hvy rods, all spooled with 50# Power Pro. Add flouro leaders, and re-tie as needed.

And a couple spinning. I've really had a couple good years drop shotting.

6. Member
    Mine are technique specific, with a few that I can use for multiple techniques. I don't keep them all in my boat though. I take what I'll need, which keeps the rod box full, and leave a few at home. I'll swap them out depending on season or what I need them for. I try to keep no more than 6 on the deck at a time. When/if I figure something out, I try to put away what I no longer need. Summer is a tricky time, because I can usually catch them on multiple baits throughout the day.

7. Member
    I have a wide variety. Usually carry 3 spinning 2 different actions same brain/floro leader. 1 crankbait 2 or 3 MH fast braid/floro jig/tube rods my favorite jerkbait rod and my favorite spinnerbait rod a plopper rod and a couple spare reels

So I guess I fall into the specific use category. By no means are they all the same make rod and reel.
    Dave

I guess I'm somewhere in between?

I've got 3 of the same composite casting rod that I use for a multitude of techniques - swim jigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwater, squarebills - that's sort of a pick-3 situation. I've got two long, heavy rods that will give me a pick 2 of flipping jig, football jig, punch rig, Carolina rig. Two medium light spinning rods, 1 xf action usually reserved for drop shotting with the other fast action alternating between Ned rigs, wacky and Neko rigs, and small swimbaits. 1 medium heavy spinning rod for flukes, tubes, bigger small swimbaits, or finesse jigs. Of course there's a cranking rod that I sort of make work for all of my non-squarebill cranks...not the most fun for deep divers, but I manage. I also have a medium casting setup for those bigger small swimbaits, lighter Texas rigs, and dock skipping (I like to skip docks with a 1/4 -3/8 oz jig...just works better for me).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawg whacker View Post
    Do you guys set up individual rods and reels for specific techniques, or spool several rigs with 12# test, several with 15# test, several with 17# test, etc...then just tie on as needed?

I set up for individual techniques, and carry over 20 rods and reels. Sometimes gets a little cluttered...
    yeah I do but only carry 10 rods 2 with 15, 3 with braid and 5 with 17 flouro if I cant catch a fish with those 10 go to rods its time to switch to drinking beer!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawg whacker View Post

Same as you my stuff is set up in advance.

I have my rods labeled with the technique, I found that I would break off and tie on xxxxxx(flavor of the day) and end up at home going thru my stuff afterwards and have 5 rods with xxxxxx... By labeling my rods, when I break off I put the same set up back on etc. If Im in a hurry, Ill set broke off rods at the back of the boat and deal with them later, by labeling them I know what to put back on and always have the same set ups available.

I have cranking rods with 10/12/15, plastics rods with 1/8,1/4,3/16 texas rigged. a flipping rod with floro. frog/flip/swimbait rods braid. swimbait rod 1/4,1/8. 1 chatter bait rod. I have spinner bait rods one with 6.2 ratio one with 5.1 ratio, those are also crank bait rods for deeper cranks or rattle traps. I keep one spinning reel rod set up with a c rig and another set up for wacky and another for drop shot. That adds up to 18 which seems about right, I usually have 3 with nothing tied on.

The more I fish this summer the more of my gear I keep removing from my baot and less Im changing things up and figuring out I can usually catch fish with the technique or techniques I want to use. Ive taken out half my plastics and hooks and weights I never use.

11. Member
    My rods and reels are on the wall in garage and I only put in boat what I'm gonna use that day. They are pretty well technique specific.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

12. Member
    I wish I could make myself do that.

I fish 2 new lakes almost every week. Never know what I'm going to run into...map study can only show you so much. So, I'm loaded for bear.

13. Member
    I used to carry a crap load of rods, had to jump up and down on the lid to get it to close. For years now I carry 5 rods. 1 jig, 1 football, 1 C-rig, 1 spinnerbait, 1 buzz bait. Hawg wacker, I bet if you watch you will always be using the same rods/baits thru out the day. Not once have I thought I wish I would have brought another rod. Most of my storage boxes are empty. 1 quart zip bag of jigs, 1 quart size footballs, 1 gallon bag of trailers, 1 quart zip of worms. The spinnerbait/buzz are on the rod. Most of you guys carry too much crap.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 07-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.

14. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    When I had my TR-21 I carried around 16 rods, same brand rod & reel, so they pretty much felt the same and kept me from tying on different baits while fishing. Also carried a sh!load of hard lures, plastics, etc. Now I fish from a kayak, carry 5 or 6 rods and a small tackle bag of baits. Fishing has become much simpler and every bit as enjoyable.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    I used to carry a crap load of rods, had to jump up and down on the lid to get it to close. For years now I carry 5 rods. 1 jig, 1 football, 1 C-rig, 1 spinnerbait, 1 buzz bait. Hawg wacker, I bet if you watch you will always be using the same rods/baits thru out the day. Not once have I thought I wish I would have brought another rod. Most of my storage boxes are empty. 1 quart zip bag of jigs, 1 quart size footballs, 1 gallon bag of trailers, 1 quart zip of worms. The spinnerbait/buzz are on the rod. Most of you guys carry too much crap.
    The spinnerbait and buzzbait are on the rod. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Spoken like a man who doesn't fish around a bunch of pike....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Spoken like a man who doesn't fish around a bunch of pike....
    Ive been lucky and not broken off, we do have a lot of them. A few years ago I ran up in the river. A full grown duck landed about 30 yards in front of me. No sooner than he landed a pike exploded on him. I kept watching and I never did see the duck come up. We have some monsters here.
    My largest was about 8" between the eyes. What ever that would weight, don't know. Didn't take it out of the water, just gill flapped it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    The spinnerbait and buzzbait are on the rod. I love that.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I always start out with the same baits in the am. One topwater, spinnerbait, buzzbait/frog, Texas rigged worm, squarebill, lipless crank.

My topwater is definitely a more whippy rod, and the squarebill has a fast tip but most my rods are 6’6”-7’2” all with 832 Suffix 30lb or 14lb Trilene XT. If I’m going to be flipping there are 2 flipping sticks...both 7’ heavy action with 65”lb 832, one creature bait and one jig.

Weird thing is that hat depending on how far from the boat in catching fish my “go to” rod changes...along with the vegetation. I e bought 2 rods for very specific purposes and both have something else tied on them because reality didn’t match what’s in my head.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV