Trim sensor reading error

Just put new seals in my tilt ram. That went fine. Reinstalled the trim sensor and now my trim gauge reads funny. When trimming down the gauge goes to just below the half way mark then goes back up. Tried to adjust the sensor, didn’t fix it. Thought I installed it wrong so spun the sensor 180deg and reinstalled it. Still does the same thing. I reinstalled it back the other way and tried adjusting it to no avail. Some help or ideas would be great as I’m out of them. Even googled and came up empty. 04 Merc 225 Opti, 1B011431.Thanks!

2. Member
    Did you install a new tri-lobe pin?

3. Member
    Yes

4. Member
    Is the un-insulated ground wire present on the swivel bracket?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    +1... at the lower engine mount (Port Side)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yes and the ground is solid.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check trim crosspin bushings, and make sure the Tri-Lobe Pin is intact, properly installed.

If problems persist, you may need to replace the trim sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I thought i installed the tri lobe pin correctly. Can you explain the correct procedure so I can verify? Bushing are fine.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty straightforward- align holes in crosspin and tilt ram.

Install tri-lobe pin through opening and drive in with a LONG punch and hammer.

DO NOT contact tilt cylinder with any tool(s).

10. Member
    Ok. That’s exactly they way I installed it. I was wondering if there was some super special way to install what looked like a very simple pin device. Thanks.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was more concerned that perhaps it had broken, or fallen out (which does sometimes happen).