Made a mistake but got lucky

My buddy and I was fishing tournament last night. He is on bow and I am in back. He hooked a bass so I step down and get the net. I got him in the boat and was getting him unhooked when we heard a splash. I looked back just in time to see my G Loomis and Lews reel going in the water. I jumped back there and did a belly buster and reached for it just as it disappeared in the dark abyss.

I should never have laid it down on back deck (lesson learned). He said don't worry I will get it for you. I thought yea right! He took his worm off and just started casting bare single hook and slip sinker. I figured it was gone we were in 35ft of water. I started getting another rod out and after a dozen cast he said look I got a fishing line. He pulled it up and got my rod then started reeling up the slack. Do you want this fish that is on here? I said heck yea he caused me enough stress get him in here. It was a 2 1/2 lb largemouth. I was thrilled I got my 425.00 rig back and a keeper.

So dead sticking a 8in plastic worm catches fish but HOLD ON TO YOUR ROD!!!!!

2. Member
    Another way I saw an old timer use to get a rod back was to throw out an old school metal stringer with all the hooks open. Just threw it out and drug it back like a C-rig. Snagged some line and he got his rod back.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Another way I saw an old timer use to get a rod back was to throw out an old school metal stringer with all the hooks open. Just threw it out and drug it back like a C-rig. Snagged some line and he got his rod back.
    Yes while he was casting for it I was already planning to come home and get one of those and go back and try that. Glad to say I don't have to try that now.

congrats

5. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I had that happen on KY Lake. Except I didn't get mine back. Another boat tried like crazy to hook it but couldn't. We had to just watch the fish come up and jump, then my rod followed to the surface and back down. This went on for awhile. I think the bass was rubbing it in.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    yesterday during a tournament I made a cast and left my bail open, set the rod down to get some Tylenol out of a compartment take the pills , go pick up the rod all the line is gone braid oh well the wind had pushed me back a ways so I figure it's gone dig out another rod and start fishing about 1/2 hour later I snag some line well what do you know it's my braid I pull it up put it through the guides tie to the spool and reel it all back in nice. I love it when things work out right
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

That's why you buy Zebco and a cheap pole

I have lost 2 in shallow water. I immediatly drop the power pole and then drag my cullung beam across the bottom to snag the line. Im 2 for 2 with that method.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

9. Member
    I had a similar experience this spring in a tournament. I was flipping a jig while my co was throwing a spinnerbait. He hooks a fish so I drop my pole to grab the net. I see he has a bluegill hooked, so disgruntled I mutter you deal with it and drop the net. I pick my pole back up and notice my line is five feet from where I flipped. I reel down and set the hook on our second biggest fish of the day.

10. Banned
    My son tossed my flipping stick overboard couple years ago, right on the drop in a river, he was only three at the time. I marked a waypoint went home got a string came back and started dragging bottom. After about 15 minutes I hooked the rod, that was a day I won't soon forget.

A buddy of mine dropped one of my rods off the back deck one day as he was making a cast,luckily he had a crank bait tied on and it floated to the surface and he went to hand lining it in, well after about 20 feet of line my brain goes HEY DUMB ASS you didn't tie the line to the spool you just ran it through the wiffle holes in the spool, yep you guessed it he had never turned the handle to engage the reel, oh well at least we got the crank bait back.

12. Member
    Work on anchor ropes to. Lol but use braid.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I keep one of those stringers in the boat for this purpose. I'm happy to say it's never been wet.
    I have lost rods out of a boat before but not since I've had the stringer in the boat. Maybe it's a good luck charm.

14. Banned
    Cool for sure!!

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    A-rig works perfect for getting rods back. I catch more rods than I do fish with it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I think I have dredged up 3 rod and reel combos the last couple of years. All of them were POS.