Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering BCB purchase next year and searching for input

Considering a BCB purchase next year and would like some input to narrow down search options. If i'm coming out of a 21' boat and prefer to stay in this range which model should i focus on? I have heard the saying that some 20' boats fish the same as a 21' boat but what are your opinion on BCB. Thanks for the input.
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

2. Member
    Honestly it comes down to layout. Look at the BCB website. All of the premiums are awsome boats, built with bass cat love. Each has its own following. I wouldn’t give up my puma for nothing, but you may like the bigger lynx or jag. My puma is just a great boat for me and my family.
    Watch the bass cat build videos. Go to the factory. Not a better made or supported boat anywhere.
    run up to lake degrey July 17 and drive them at the factory exellance in action. Welcome to come to lanier and drive and fish my puma.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

If you are coming out of that zx250, you might like the Eyra layout with coffin lids, would be alot faster of a boat, giving up some width in the nose, but might be better for you fishing docks and rivers in your area. I can only speak of the Caracal personally, it too uses similar lockers to a zx, but has two boxes for gear and a nice day box. The net scabbard is a cool innovation and useful. Very stable boat at 19'8" . And I can squeeze mine into a 20x20 garage at an angle with the folding neck on the trailer.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I have owned several different brands and was never really loyal to one brand or another but always wanted a BassCat because of the looks and bling. Then I toured the factory when I went to the BBC Midwest Rally at Mountain Home and we had the opportunity to tour the BCB facility. At that point I was hooked, the fit and finish and attention to detail at the factory is unmatched to anything I have ever seen. I know this sounds quirky but I was really interested in how their trailers were built so I spent some time there talking to Ivan who gave us a tour about them and if you only knew the work that went into the trailers alone you would buy a BCB. At the rally meeting we had at BCB, they had a brand new Caracal sitting there for us to look at. Well, enough said, that is my next boat. I had the opportunity to look at a Jaguar, Pantera Classic and the Eyra and I will be getting a Caracal because that is what fits me best. Big wide deck for fishing with my kids up front, great speed and stability and not to mention the storage on that boat is unreal. There are compartments everywhere!!! Do yourself a favor, go tour the facility and check it our for yourself, you wont be disappointed. Rick Pierce and his team run a tight ship and do a phenomenal job with these boats!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Let me know if you want a test ride. I've got a 2016 Cougar FTD. My brother has an Eyra.

7. Member
    Had s 22’ triton and went to a Eyra. Best decision I ever made. Fish 2 upfront easy and have fished with 3 on the boat with no problems. You won’t be disappoints. The skeeter is a little wider (buddy on mine has a zx250) but IMO you won’t kniw the difference. Takes a little getting use to with the trolling motor location but you will love it.

8. Member
    I came out of a Skeeter and into a 2018 Pantera 2. I will say the Skeeter is esier to drive due to no chine walk. But that is about the only advantage I see. My Bass Cat is faster ( I don't mind driving thru chine walk since I owned a Triton before the Skeeter I'm used to it), fishes the same or better, I feel it is more nimble. The build quality is better, no plastic console crap to crack or weather. The Bass Cat trailer is the best in the business in my opinion. I am so impressed with my Bass Cat I think it will be the only brand I own going forward.

I'm not bad mouthing Skeeter either. They are a solid bass boat, there ride is forgiving and smooth. But I feel a Bass Cat is a step above.
    Brad Krone

9. Member
    All,
    Thanks for the input very helpful. I will for sure take your advice and make arrangements to visit the factory i will likely be in the area during the fall of this year. My next boat purchase will likely be my final boat purchase so i want to put a lot research into it so i dont regret the purchase.
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

10. Member
    What are your reasons for getting out of the ZX 250? I am in a 2015 ZX 250 and it has been a good boat. I think the Bass Cat quality is far and above all others though.

11. Member
    No Complaints on fishability and ride on my 250. Only complaints are quality related and it seems that Skeeter quality is trending down opposed to trending up.
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgill6816 View Post
    No Complaints on fishability and ride on my 250. Only complaints are quality related and it seems that Skeeter quality is trending down opposed to trending up.
    They all do at some point.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

13. Member
    You're correct about all of them having an issue sooner or later. I am also going to buy a Bass Cat when the 2019's come out. I'm torn between the Cougar and Eyra.

14. Member
    I would look at Lynx and Caracal. The wider ones. My friend has a new Cougar , best boat he has had but a hand ful to drive and holeshot is slow when loaded, mainly due to gas tanks being in rear of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    I would look at Lynx and Caracal. The wider ones. My friend has a new Cougar , best boat he has had but a hand ful to drive and holeshot is slow when loaded, mainly due to gas tanks being in rear of boat.
    He doesn’t have the boat set up right for hole shot and he doesn’t know how to drive the boat yet. I have this boat and can drive it over 80 with no problem. When I didn’t know how to drive a boat(I didn’t know in my first cougar ftd) then it was a “handful to drive” when going over 72-75 for me as well. Now it’s as easy as driving down the interstate in my truck cause I know what I’m doing now. And I had to play with props and I run zero plugs in my prop. My holeshot is fabulous now.

Also, a caracal will walk too if you don’t know how to drive it. I’ve not driven a Lynx so I can’t speak for that one. They all have to be driven.

16. Member
    Its set up and he knows how to drive it!!!

17. Member
    It has nothing to do with the fuel tanks being in the back. A BassCat is one of the few remaining hulls that has to be driven to get full potential from it. I have a 2016 Puma / 250 SHO and they require getting used to. 70 is easy, 75 requires work and 80 is downright difficult. If the holeshot is slow, it might require some tweaking.

18. Member
    To the original post, a BCB is a great ride. The Puma/Cougar are the more narrow performance hulls while the Lynx is the newer wide body. The Jaguar will double as a battleship, it's just plain huge. Regardless of which one you choose, the quality is second to none. Each and every feature has been really thought out and customer service is second to none. Find some folks in your area and take a few rides, that's the only way to see what you want and appreciate the brand. I have a Puma/SHO btw...

Its set up and he knows how to drive it!!!
    I’m not trying to be rude but he doesn’t if he thinks it’s a handful to drive.
    Last edited by jp71291; 07-14-2018 at 08:31 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    I’m not trying to be rude but he doesn’t if he thinks it’s a handful to drive.
    This /\/\/\/\
    If its dragging out the hole, he needs to change props or adjust jackplate height. More likely prop.
    I have a buddy that has a cougar and with both of us at 78 mph its like second nature to him. Very easy and smooth. He takes his hands off while he yelling at me above the engine and wind. When it starts to chine, he just adds a little input in the steering and its smooth again. It takes seat time and knowing the boat well.

Example: I own a PII. At 70 mph I am really having to work the steering to keep it smooth. I haven't had the seat time in this boat. It seems like a handful, but I know its just my ability to drive it.
    There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy driving a PII to 83 mph. He makes it look so easy, which for him it is. Experience.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast