Splice sonar cable ???

Can you splice sonar cable?? Need to splice to hook up to Ultrex US2, no adapter made for my Elite 5DSI!!!

2. Member
    An Elite 5DSI does not have 2d sonar ... it's a DOWN SCAN only !! It has no 2d features/capabilities

http://ww2.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...0153-001_w.pdf

3. Member
    Generally the transducer and cable are a "tuned " length based on the frequency the signals are travelling at . If you add or subtract cable length it will disturb this tuning affecting accuracy .

If done correctley it will work. There are a few threads with some good tips.
    However in your case I believe 6BOMER is correct -- Your unit is Down Scan and the US2 transducer is 2D sonar only.

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Length is not important to a sonar transducer cable's quality transmission of sonar signal information...it would have the same characteristic impedance and response of all the needed range of frequencies if the length is very short or longer.

A transucer coaxial cable specific characteristic impedance carries high freq signal information. No real way to pre-position/maintain the soldered spice such that many of the important signal frequencies are not erroneously reflected/lost at soldered joint unless you have access and use a TDR oscilloscope which is a very expensive test instrument.

The threads I have seen saying it is possible to solder splice visually a sonar cable are akin to a shade tree mechanic claiming the magic touch to optimally adjust 'engine timing' on a high performance engine with no timing light and not even running the engine.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-19-2018 at 09:22 AM.

6. Member
    Yep. Reflection will be the problem. If you damaged the cable already give it a shot and try it.

7. Member
    I've done it many times with the Side Imaging transducers, you will not lose performance due to change in cable length, they even sell extension cables, these are not coax cables or RF signals, just 30 ga twisted pairs. I had posted a while back with pin outs, It's critical to splice the correct wires or you will damage your head unit. last time I used a water tight 7 pin connector with solder cups, works great, if you need to remove your trolling motor you just disconnect the connector and go, no need to remove your mounted transducer. There is a lot of misinformation passed forward on what people have read that have no real knowledge, which makes it confusing. It's not difficult.

8. Member
    The question was "SONAR CABLE" not SI sir. The unit he has doesn't have 2d sonar.

9. Member
    Ok I am confused on what your saying here. I was just answering the question 'Can you splice sonar cable??', in which the answer is yes you can, for any sonar unit. I wasn't saying anything on whether his unit would work with the US2 transducer, if that is what you are addressing. Was just trying to clear some things up that were mentioned in the post. Like I said earlier, it gets very confusing for people wanting to know if they can splice their Xducer cables. Hope this helps.