Cracked block repair?

Serial: OT135561

2000.5 Opti 225.

Noticed an oil leak that seemed to come from no where checked all hoses and anything that could leak oil and discovered I’ve got a small crack in the block right behind where the intake plenum bolts up. Is this something that could be repaired with a sort of cold weld remedy (ie: jb weld or the likes) or could a competent aluminum welder fix this issue by drilling the ends of the crack and welding a long the crack?

2. Member
    Need good clear pictures posted of this crack.

Block will have to be stripped and cleaned properly before a weld will hold. Oil will certainly have penetrated the casting along the crack line, thus preventing good weld adhesion and penetration. I would not trust JB Weld in that situation.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You "might" get a weld repair done in that area of the engine that holds up. Maybe.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon214 View Post
    Serial: OT135561

2000.5 Opti 225.

Noticed an oil leak that seemed to come from no where checked all hoses and anything that could leak oil and discovered I’ve got a small crack in the block right behind where the intake plenum bolts up. Is this something that could be repaired with a sort of cold weld remedy (ie: jb weld or the likes) or could a competent aluminum welder fix this issue by drilling the ends of the crack and welding a long the crack?
    it should be welded by a competent guy,that does mercury blocks. there are several guys in Tn. well capable,like Chaz or James,try Todd D, as well.

6. Member
    Sorry, I just got a chance to get back on here and check. The boat is actually in the shop right now for a new lower unit cause I hit a log and torched the lower unit. That was how the crack was found as they were checking the engine over to make sure nothing else was damaged by the impact. Cajun, I’ve sent you a pm about the guys you’re referring to.