Thread: GCV 20 UHD ??

GCV 20 UHD ??

Anyone have some experience with this unit and the GT 34 that comes with it? Does it perform well? Is it worth the money for the claims or performance that Garmin offers?

2. Member
    I got disappointed. His money is not worth it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHG View Post
    Anyone have some experience with this unit and the GT 34 that comes with it? Does it perform well? Is it worth the money for the claims or performance that Garmin offers?
    I ordered it at the same time I ordered 2 93svs. In my opinion the stock CV transducer is really quite solid when installed correctly. Produces detailed images. The GT transducer has a dedicated crystal for down imaging so it technically should be more accurate in addition to operating on frequencies producing even more detailed images. I like being able to choose between the CV transducer on the trolling motor or transom or the GT transducer on transom. I'll try to take some comparison screen shots next time I'm out
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

4. Member
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    LWinchester2

I noticed in the 2nd link, post 14, you made a comment on weaker returns on one side, for lack of a better description, ghosting.
    Returns an both sides indicate that the boat is directly over the object but in reality it is not and the weaker image side is just a ghost so the object is really on the stronger image side.

I have verified this with Panoptics, but it is ghosting with the older Hbird SI system and have not had an opportunity to test with their newer Mega Imaging.

My question is , do you feel the statement below still holds true now that you have had more time on the water with the Garmin unit?

Something that I think I've noticed on the UHD is that it is quite different than the GT50/51/52 transducers. On them there are times that a strong return on the left will also show up on the right, just weaker. I'm not seeing that on the UHD. Very differentiated. I don't know if it's an alternate ping situation or what, but it's really good.

6. Member
    Not 100%. There is much, much less ghosting with Garmin's Mega than the other transducers, but I have seen it a couple of times. It seems that the top to bottom cone is tighter than with the GT50/51/52 transducers. They may do alternate pinging, I don't know. I would now revise my previous statement to say that rarely does this ghosting occur.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Thank you.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Not 100%. There is much, much less ghosting with Garmin's Mega than the other transducers, but I have seen it a couple of times. It seems that the top to bottom cone is tighter than with the GT50/51/52 transducers. They may do alternate pinging, I don't know. I would now revise my previous statement to say that rarely does this ghosting occur.
    Did you have other transducers connected to the device? I have a conflict with my 7608 when GCV 20 is running and GT52.

9. Member
    The GCV20 connects via ethernet, so yes I usually do have other transducers connected. What do you mean conflict? Are you calling a conflict that you can only view one SideVu at a time?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHG View Post
    I’m very happy with mine!

11. Member
    The GCV20 connects via ethernet, so yes I usually do have other transducers connected. What do you mean conflict? Are you calling a conflict that you can only view one SideVu at a time?
    On the screen only GCV20, pulse packets are superimposed in DV mode. In the SV (GCV20) mode, restrictions on the sides, then specially soap are smeared that would not be black. And yet, such a feeling that there is a conflict of equipment.

12. Member
    Do you have a screenshot to illustrate this?

13. Member
    There is a record. Now on vacation, I'll come back, I'll take screenshots.

14. Member
    Excellent comments, keep them coming. TTT

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I love mine! It’s MUCH improved!

16. Member
    Screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Those look pretty horrible. I would not be happy with that at all