Something is drawing current and draining my starting battery

I purchased a brand new Optima blue top starting battery on Tuesday, installed it and started my engine several times with no issue. On Wed. morning, I attempted to start the engine again and the battery was dead. All of my accessories are on alligator clips that I take off the starting battery when not in use. So I can discount them as being the cause for the battery draining. I suspect I have an ignition issue in which despite the key turning back to the off position, it is still some how drawing constant current.

I have had this issue for a few months. I thought it was one of the accessories maybe having a bad switch but I think I have eliminated this by putting all of the leads on alligator clips and removing them when not in use. I noticed the base of the ignition sometimes turns when I turn the key, as in it has become loose. The boat is a 2006 G3 with a 4 stroke Yamaha 60hp

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Question everything!

2. Member
    Did this just start? Reason I ask is I believe you will find the Yamaha continues to draw power. Be best to install a master cutoff switch, such as Perko. Alternatively, you can manually disconnect the positive battery cable for the Yamaha each time.

3. Member
    I'd say that I've noticed the issue since late fall of last year. I've had the boat since new and never noticed this to be an issue before and certainly not killing a battery overnight.
    Definitely going to install a master cutoff.
    Question everything!

Check your charging system to insure it is working. If I remember correctly, a shorted diode in the rectifier circuit can drain the battery even with the key off. Your alternator will probably not charge if this is the case. A master cutoff will just mask your problem, and not fix it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    A master cutoff will just mask your problem, and not fix it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Have to find out what is going on.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Well, it turns out I am electronic doopit.
    60.00 later the dealer told me the connection was loose and they replaced the cap on the ignition which was also loose.
    As for the connection, I installed a new battery the day before I had the issue. I'm kinda doubting that is what it is.
    I guess time will tell.
    Question everything!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    Well, it turns out I am electronic doopit.
    60.00 later the dealer told me the connection was loose and they replaced the cap on the ignition which was also loose.
    As for the connection, I installed a new battery the day before I had the issue. I'm kinda doubting that is what it is.
    I guess time will tell.
    Don't think the loose connection will cause a battery drain. something has to go to ground to make a circuit.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

If your new battery is draining overnight, you have a pretty large current drain

The first thing you need to do is find out how much (if any) current draw you have with everything turned off. Disconnect all of the wires from the Positive terminal of your battery and insert an ammeter between each of the wires and the positive post of the battery - one lead at a time and find out where the drain is coming from - make sure your ammeter will handle a couple of amps. You can also use a clamp on type ammeter and you won't have to disconnect the wires - just clamp around each positive lead near the battery to check the current draw. Once you determine what is drawing current, then you can start troubleshooting to correct the issue. If it is the main lead to the fuse block, start pulling fuses until you identify what circuit(s) is(are) drawing current.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    If your new battery is draining overnight, you have a pretty large current drain

The first thing you need to do is find out how much (if any) current draw you have with everything turned off. Disconnect all of the wires from the Positive terminal of your battery and insert an ammeter between each of the wires and the positive post of the battery - one lead at a time and find out where the drain is coming from - make sure your ammeter will handle a couple of amps. You can also use a clamp on type ammeter and you won't have to disconnect the wires - just clamp around each positive lead near the battery to check the current draw. Once you determine what is drawing current, then you can start troubleshooting to correct the issue. If it is the main lead to the fuse block, start pulling fuses until you identify what circuit(s) is(are) drawing current.

You can use a test light in place of an amp meter. When the light comes on, that's the circuit to check.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents