225 HPDI Losing Power

Was out running at WOT around 5900rpm when I went across a wake from another boat. Still at WOT the motor dropped in rpm to about 4800. It now will not operate over 4800rpm. Really struggles getting on plane. I plan to change fuel filters. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Check all your filters and then coils. Do a compression test.

3. Member
    Checked compression. 112-114 all cylinders. Is their a procedure for checking the coils? I did notice that the bottom plug on the port side was wet. Ordered filters an plan to change when received.

4. Member
    Primer Bulb ??
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

5. Member
    good luck is all i can say. Been fighting the same issue for 2 years. Comes and goes and i've changed just about everything twice.

First time it happened was same scenario. Ran across lake was pretty bumpy by the time i got in the canal i was down to 4500 rpms. I was running on one tank so thought i was running low or trash was stuck in the line so I switched tanks but still stuck at low rpm. Brought it in for a $700 maintenance. Changed 10 filters, new plugs, drained tank. It worked. So i wrote it off to those mystery filters. About 10 months later it happened again, but by the end of the day it ended up going away??. Another 6 months passed, same situation. Cutting across the lake and it was pretty bumpy, but they time i got out down to about 5200rpm. Normally run 56-5700. So I changed out all 10 filters again. Seemed to run normal again then started to get some random missing. I thought i had it pinned down to first take offs in the morning. But then it would randomly do it will running. Just a slight 1 sec drop in power and that would be it. This started in january. I rebuilt the low pressure pumps, replaced the filters again, replaced water pump, new plugs, checked gas lines, cleaned injectors, checked compression and checked coils. Still can't figure it out. I had it get real bad a few times and then the next day would run fine. Its sitting at shop right now for the last 3 weeks. Dont even know what else to do. Throws no codes either.

6. Member
    Just had the same thing happen and mine was a blown power head.. You should pull and inspect your plugs. You can also get a pen light and look into you cylinder when you do to see if any piston damage is visible. Mine only had 103 hours on it. Start with the #2 piston (top left) that will most likely be your culprit if it is a piston. Next is top right #1. Hopefully your luck isn't as bad as mine!!!

7. Member
    Well I changed the filter in VST on the medium pressure pump and the in line medium pressure filter. Now I can get her to start. Put a pressure gage on the Schroeder valve on top of the VST to see what was going on. Turned the key to “on” position, pump runs for 5 or so seconds and pressure only reaches 10psi. We pump stops, pressure immediately drops to 0. Service manual indicates pressure should be around 43psi but doesn’t say if it should hold or slowly drop. Problem with pump, pressure regulator? The pump did pull out of the top section of the VST when I changed the filter. Pretty sure it pushed back into position correctly.