Merc optimax low on oil alarm...now full resiv...alarm continues! ot700937

I was running a test on my 150 horse power opti. Then the beeps for the low oil alarm came on as well my smartcraft guage read “reserve oil 97%” . After dumping a gallon into the remote tank the smartguage read the same. I took it out and ran it a little, the reserve oil percentage just kept dropping. I topped off the tank on the engine To see if that would make a difference… It did not. What’s my next move please?

2. Member
    If your motor mounted tank was low you need to figure out why. You can’t fill it and go, if it was low because your boat tank ran low you will need to have the air purged from the system. Usually by a dealer. If the motor tank was not low then the sensor could be bad, search here for test to check sensor. And a not low motor tank is 100% full, any air in the tank is low.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    as Leo mentioned.. The motor reservoir tank should remain full at all times, if you ran the onboard boat oil tank too low and got air in the system you will need to bleed the motor oil tank .

The how to bleed is here http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22506

If alarm still sounding... its usually the magnets inside the tank that get unglued and give a false reading. (rarely is it the actual sensor) either way.. if the motor oil tank is holding proper oil level and alarm is still sounding you need to replace the tank as merc doesnt sell parts for it separately.

If the tank is replaced you will also need a merc shop to run the oil prime sequence.

This is what usually ends up being the problem MOST of the time. you can do a quick search and people have mentioned on how to test the alarm to pin point the issue

Im in the process of changing mine because of the cap being stripped and leaking. sucks....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrefighterjay View Post
    I was running a test on my 150 horse power opti. Then the beeps for the low oil alarm came on as well my smartcraft guage read “reserve oil 97%” . After dumping a gallon into the remote tank the smartguage read the same. I took it out and ran it a little, the reserve oil percentage just kept dropping. I topped off the tank on the engine To see if that would make a difference… It did not. What’s my next move please?
    If the reserve tank oil level is dropping, your engine is pulling oil from the reserve tank and oil is not being pushed from remote to reserve. The system depends on positive pressure in remote tank to push oil to engine mounted reserve. Double check remote tank caps to ensure they're tight and not leaking. Confirm no kinks in oil hose between remote tank and engine. Ensure your remote tank does not drop below 30% nor filled more than 80%.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    There is also a check valve in the oil line from crankcase to the reserve tank on boat. If it malfunctions it will stop pressure from building in tank.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay