Trim gauge issue

Just put new seals in my tilt ram. That went fine. Reinstalled the trim sensor and now my trim gauge reads funny. When trimming down the gauge goes to just below the half way mark then goes back up. Tried to adjust the sensor, didn’t fix it. Thought I installed it wrong so spun the sensor 180deg and reinstalled it. Still does the same thing. I reinstalled it back the other way and tried adjusting it to no avail. Some help or ideas would be great as I’m out of them. Even googled and came up empty. 04 Merc 225 Opti. Thanks!

2. Member
    We have a Mercury forum. That said the sensor might have an arm that hits the motor as it travels. With the system on, if you push the actuator arm against the spring it should go to low trim, if left natural, it should read high.
    If it has a different style sensor, then I'm lost.
    Go to the Merc forum.

3. Member
    I know we have a Merc forum, thanks. This is just a general trim question. It’s a pot style trim sensor common on many trim systems.

4. Member
    Check the sensor ground,a bad ground can make it get funky.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Check the sensor ground,a bad ground can make it get funky.
    First thing I thought of since I work in the low voltage industry. Ground is solid.

6. Member
    mine did the same thing-even went so far as replacing gauge and sender,ended up having to knock center pin back out and rotating the tilt shaft 180-fixed the poblem