RT188 Power Pole

Does the PP have to be installed by Ranger dealer, or is it enough if they just install the bracket?

2. Member
    I don't know. But there is a lot of folks on here that does know & be 100% correct
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

The warranty will tell you one thing in print and the dealer may tell you something different verbally. I personally would not go with what somebody tells me on the internet that their dealer said. I would want an email or something from the Ranger factory people. It is easy to call them and get with the right people. I would want something in print from them.

I fish shallow water in Florida a lot and then in the summer fish reservoirs in the southeast. When fishing the reservoirs and throwing a jig in brushpiles or catching fish off a hump in the lake, the PowerPole would be useless. I decided to put my money toward a MinnKota Ultrex. I fish in Florida with a buddy that has an Ulterra with spotlock and he also has a Talon on an Xpress. We can fish all day now and he never deploys the Talon but he uses spotlock on the trolling motor all day a lot. Just food for thought......and there is no warranty question about the Ultrex and it is a LOT LOT more versatile.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Thank you for replies. I called Ranger and they told me to talk to my dealer. My dealer told me I can install it myself and should be OK if I do it right... So I'm still trying to figure out what to do and how to do it right... Did anyone install one on their own?

5. Member
    I did get the e-mail from Ranger telling me that as long as I stick to their guidelines I can install the Power Pole myself.
    Now, I have another question. To run the hydrolic hoses into the bildge I have to drill the hole from the splash well. If you have PP, could you please tell me if you have one hole for two hoses or two seperate holes. Also, what size are the holes, what grommets and where to find them?
    2017 Ranger RT188, 115 Mercury Pro XS CT,
    80# MK Fortrex, Sportsman II Power Pole,
    Garmins Echo Map Plus 93SV.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    As an attorney I am very careful about the kind of stuff you’re talking about....if it were me I would laminate that paper and make sure I have a name to attach to it just in case!

as for the install..I’d watch some YouTube videos. Yes there are some terrible ones but some are really well done! Any big auto parts store will have grommets and 5200, that all depends on your outer hose diameter and the grommet you choose will determine how big the hole is. Good luck! I know when I had mine installed on my bay boat they ran the hoses where no holes had to be drilled but I can’t find pics.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    I have a Power Pole on my RT. Was on it when I bought the boat off the dealer's floor so I assume it was a factory install, though not positive. On mine the hoses are covered with that black mesh wrap and run thru one hole right next to the fuel line. The hole and the grommet appear to be the same exact size as the fuel line one. I notice in the owners manual it shows it comes with 2 pass thru fittings and says to drill two 3/4" holes. So looks like you can do it whatever way you want.
    2015 RT188 / Optimax ProXS 115

8. Member
    Thank you for the replies. I got the bracket from the power pole. I still need to find the right grommet. I will post the results...

9. Member
    I was thinking about a Power Pole or a Talon but decided on a Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link instead.

Most of our fishing is in water that the poles won't reach so I decided it would be dead weight.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

10. Member
    I fish a lot of shallow water so PP is what I prefer. If I fished offshore more, I would definitely pick the ultrex.

11. Member
    I installed mine pp myself. I did not want to drill holes on my boat so I ran them in the hole from the factory where the cables and wires come to the motor. The pp line are plenty long enough. Now I have no extra holes in my boat.

I have an Ultrex and added pp after I got the ultrex. Ultrex are great but the pp are great in shallow water where the ultrex leaves a little to desired .
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

12. Member
    Just installed a sportsman series on my rt188. It came from the factory with the grommets already installed on the hoses. I drilled my two holes on the top of the transom above the splash well. Made for a clean install. Just make sure you drill your holes to allow the motor to turn without hitting the hoses.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sandacz View Post
    Does the PP have to be installed by Ranger dealer, or is it enough if they just install the bracket?
    mine came from ranger was mounted on port side to setback plate at my request.
    works great no problems.
    J D

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    mine came from ranger was mounted on port side to setback plate at my request.
    works great no problems.
    J D
    The ranger 4" setback plate? If so can you get pics for me please. I've been wondering if it would mount to mine. Thanks

15. Banned
    Yes ranger 4 inch setback plate