Thumbs Up Help for slipping collar

Several have posted about there collar not holding the shaft in place.. One of my old Terrovas had that issue.
    Here is what I did to mine. One picture is of my new Ultrex which is not slipping YET. Notice how the collar is totally compressed where the bolt is, yet has a noticeable gap next to the shaft.
    The second picture is the modified collar from my old Terrova.. First I filed the inside of the ears a little then made an aluminum piece to use as a stiffener. Worked for me !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plastic is too soft needs to be aluminum or reinforced with something and not modified after the fact by the end user. We're customers not beta testers. Engineers or QC should have caught that before it went on the market.

Thanks fishnfireman good tip.

3. Member
    Is there room for an automobile radiator hose clamp above the slipping clamp? I used two of them on a previous Maxxum I had with that slip habit, it stopped the slip.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Is there room for an automobile radiator hose clamp above the slipping clamp? I used two of them on a previous Maxxum I had with that slip habit, it stopped the slip.
    Yes there is room , and it would work..
    But sure looks like crap on a new Hi-teck Hi-dollar piece of fishing gear..

I guess I haven't experienced this problem yet. I do have to raise my 52" quite often. I'm pretty sure that if I ever go into the water, it will be head first while trying to raise that Ultrex.

Just to make the task slightly easier, I'm considering buying a Bob's Machine Shop Quick Slip handle http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bobs_...e-QSLIPMK.html for it. I wonder if it would help with the tightening problem?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I guess I haven't experienced this problem yet. I do have to raise my 52" quite often. I'm pretty sure that if I ever go into the water, it will be head first while trying to raise that Ultrex.

Just to make the task slightly easier, I'm considering buying a Bob's Machine Shop Quick Slip handle http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bobs_...e-QSLIPMK.html for it. I wonder if it would help with the tightening problem?

I got tired of my Ultrex slipping down every time I went out in the boat. I just received my Bob's Quick Slip and will install it tonight and report back after the weekend. Hope this cures the problem.

M

Looks like it should make it easier. However what I see will not solve the slipping issue.
    Looking at my photo above-- the collar is already as tight as it can get where the bolt goes through. The cam over device will only replace the Knob grip bolt assembly. It will still need someway to stiffen the collar so more pressure can be applied closer to the shaft itself. An oversized fender washer on each side or a piece like shown in my picture should do the trick.

Adding another collar or a hose clamp, just makes it harder. Some times in the spring I might change half a dozen times. May have to order that Quick slip, and start selling some premade stiffeners for MK.

8. Member
    I used the rubber inserts from a TH-Marine Handle for electric steering around the shaft placed collar around it don't move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    I used the rubber inserts from a TH-Marine Handle for electric steering around the shaft placed collar around it don't move.
    My old MG troller would do the same....i took an old bicycle tube and cut a piece to wrap around the shaft....never moved after that....that may work for the Ultrex.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I'm sure it will work fine if you leave it at the same setting!!
    What about when you need to change motor depths during a day on the water ??

11. Member
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S