mercmonitor or smartcraft question

I am looking at buying a ranger with a 2004 optimax on it. ( boat is an 02 ranger 20vx). My question is two fold. First what is the difference between smartcraft and the mercmonitor? Second If a smartcraft has been added to the system at a later date will it still show total hours on the motor or will it show only hours counted after the install? I know that best way to go would be to have dealer plug in. however, I am going to look at it on Saturday and they will be closed. he said his smartcraft gage is showing 230 hrs which seems quite low for an 04 (16.5 hours per year) should I really be worried about it that much as long as compression is good and lower unit oil looks good. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Smartcraft is the “language” that the motor speaks. A Mercmonitor is a gauge that displays information stored or transmitted from the motor’s computer.

If you hook up a Mercmonitor, it will show TOTAL hours as it gets this number from the computer.

I suspect the boat currently has a Systemonitor which is the first generation of Smartcraft Instruments. There are MANY different ones now.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    So even if he put the gage on say two years after the motor was put on it will still read total hours for the entire life of the engine. thanks I appreciate the info SB. Are these first generation monitors accurate? That seems like really low hours for a motor that is 14 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Durbijd View Post
    So even if he put the gage on say two years after the motor was put on it will still read total hours for the entire life of the engine.
    Correct. Systemonitors are accurate just not as many features as a Mercmonitor. A Systemonitor is kind of like a flip-phone of the past. They still work just not as capable as an iPhone 8.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Hours displayed will be correct and same as if dealer plugged into the "maintenance port" under the cowl. One benefit of having hours read by the dealer is they can also provide you the run history by rpm, which IMO, is far more useful that just total hours.

If you plan to purchase this boat, I'd have the dealer do a full printout with run history and any logged alarm conditions. Get the serial number off the engine and post in the appropriate forum (3L for 200hp and higher, 2.5L for 135 - 175hp, and this one for 115hp and less) for Don to review.

Here's a good read from the FAQ in the 3L forum - Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Good luck!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax