2009 Champion 206

I purchased this from a fellow on Western Bass about a year ago. I don't think he knew the extent of the problems in this boat which included transom flex and top of boat seperating from the bottom. Lot of work went into this "fair deal" I was told. But I somewhat enjoyed the project. Here is something that may help one of you. I had a 1/2 transom flex from just the weight of the motor... Here is my story and maybe it will help someone here...

U can visually see the flex and separation. Just from the weight of the engine it flexed about 1/2" outward. U certainly are not home free with a composite transom.

I took the transom L shaped bar off at transom and it had water penetration in the transom for sure ( it was wet inside ). The glue used had crumbled. I took the loose harden glue out and chip at anything that was loose. Chipped as much out as I could then I used a heat lamp and hair dryer to dry it. You can only do this if there is no wood in there - if you have a wood transom, it may be worse than it looks deeper in the transom so be wise on how you repair a wood transom.

I took my time. The entire project took two weeks.

After I spent hours in the evenings really drying it out, I then bought tubes of 5200... https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-5200-...00HC/202258948

I pumped this stuff into every nook and cranny and shoved it deep into the crevices the best I could until it would not take anymore. If I remember correctly I went through at least one tube and half.
    Once I did this and this is important, I trimmed the motor/skeg down onto a piece of wood to lift the transom straight. The weight of the motor was flexing the transom about a 1/2 inch so I used the trim hydraulics to straighten it out for curing. It takes 7 days + for this 5200 to cure.

After 7 days I then put the L shaped bracket on with clear silicon and new screws.

Waited for this cure also.

Finally to be sure. I special ordered a 5/8" thick aluminum bar that was about 2 1/2 wide and about 32 " long here... https://www.mcmaster.com/#8975K622

I don't remember the exact length but you will have to confirm your own dimensions.

Measure carefully and I ordered two in case we drilled wrong when we received the bar. Drilled two, 1/2" holes and put this inside the well inplace of the small brace that everyone uses and remounted my motor with this new bracing that's longer and thicker.

My transom is rock solid. No movement at all! I was even amazed my plan worked. Lol

I hope this helps someone. Ask me about the top half separation and what I did for that. lol

So what did you do about the top cap? lol

3. Member
    It is funny you asked.

I was driving down hill and stopped to pay the launch fee and noticed water dripping out of the very tip of the boat by the trolling motor where the top and bottom connect. This is when I found out I had a problem. I was very worried to say the least
    But it turned out to be about a one day job. Details to follow.