Mariner 2.0L 150 ELPT SN: 6443819, Looking for prop suggestions and some gen. info

I just got an 84 ranger 370V with the motor in the title on the back. It currently has a prop with a "-25" stamped on the outside and 48-66008 stamped on the inside of it. i was told that he replaced the prop after hitting a stump or something and lost some speed. looking to replace this prop with a more appropriate set up. it is on a manual jack plate but i don't know how to tell what size..

I am also looking for general motor info like a schematic, parts list, etc.. as there are a few hoses that should be replaced as well as a new starter and other miscellaneous things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Member
    order factory serv manual, drop pitch back some 23 or lower
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    How low would you say is too low for the pitch? Is there a good guide available for selecting props for these older motors?
    Also, this is a cheap boat and i don't know if i want to put the money into a SS prop are there good aluminum options?
    Would 4-blades be better top speed wise or just hole shot acceleration?

Thanks!!

4. Member
    Update: measured the Jack plate. It is 5" and set to about 2.625" down from the top.. assuming i measured right. also the diameter of the Hub part of the prop is about 4 3/4"

Measured the prop as best i could is seems to be 14x25p from this prop selector thing i should be getting something like a 14.375x21.. does that make sense?
    https://turningpointpropellers.com/PROPWIZARD/
    Last edited by kbeeb374; 07-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.

5. Member
    What is your top speed (GPS) and RPMs at wide open throttle with your present setup as is?

6. Member
    Well we were only able to measure through the navionics app and that had us going about 35mph. I don't have a tach so i can't tell what my RPM's are. is there an easy way to install a tach?

7. Member
    need a w/psi gage and tach installed to monitor rpm and wpsi for set up and prop selection, boat should go faster than 35 faster, would find good stainless prop
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

You should figure out if it still has a 2:1 gearset or been replaced with 1.87 b4 you buy any props

9. Member
    How would i figure out what gear set it has?

10. Member
    should be 2:1 , theres links on here to determine ratio

11. Member
    Ok so I installed an off brand tiny tach. I have it set to 2p1r and it reads about 800-900 at idle. I measure the prop to pad at about 3.875 or so. When I go to full throttle it takes forever to get out of the hole then I can only get it to about 35 mph and the tach is reading in the 7000's after trying to run it for a bit it doesn't want to idle at all. 14x25p aluminum prop. Are my tach settings right? What should I do?

12. Member
    If your tach is right and, in fact, you're turning 7000 rpms, you are experiencing a lot of prop slip. You may have a spun prop hub, a junk prop, or a combination of both. Typically aluminum props just don't cut it. See if someone will let you borrow a 21" or 23" pitch Tempest and report your results.

13. Member
    agree ^^^^ or laser 21 or lower

14. Member
    Thanks guys. i'll see what i can do. don't know a lot of people with bass boats around