Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

05 Mercury 225 Optimax MPH Issue

I have an 05 Triton with a 225 Optimax that I just took out after sitting for approx 5 years (winterized). I drained tank, replaced the plugs, fuel filter, old fuel line, primer ball and rebuilt the surge pump. It starts right up and idles perfectly. The problem I am having is that I am only getting approx 50 mph out of it now and it used to go approx 70 mph with same jackplate/prop/height setting. Assume maybe one of my fuel pumps are failing? TPI? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Those who can provide more help than me will want your serial number.

What RPMs are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by 05TRITON View Post
    I have an 05 Triton with a 225 Optimax that I just took out after sitting for approx 5 years (winterized). I drained tank, replaced the plugs, fuel filter, old fuel line, primer ball and rebuilt the surge pump. It starts right up and idles perfectly. The problem I am having is that I am only getting approx 50 mph out of it now and it used to go approx 70 mph with same jackplate/prop/height setting. Assume maybe one of my fuel pumps are failing? TPI? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If it were mine I would not even think of putting it on the pad until the VST was went thru and the complete fuels rails had been went thru, five years of setting could have caused a host of problems with injectors and diaphragm's. You do not want to experience the results of a lean run conditions. Send them off to Don and protect your investment. I would not attempt to diag, this issue until this is done which very may be your problem anyway
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    If it were mine I would not even think of putting it on the pad until the VST was went thru and the complete fuels rails had been went thru, five years of setting could have caused a host of problems with injectors and diaphragm's. You do not want to experience the results of a lean run conditions. Send them off to Don and protect your investment. I would not attempt to diag, this issue until this is done which very may be your problem anyway
    I've had it out several times now this season...it is were running lean, wouldn't the running temp be high? It runs right around 132 degrees once warmed up. I didn't open the VST which I do want to do. Do you need a new o-ring every time you remove that lid? I am new to the forum and don't know who Don is?

Very unlikely to see a lean run on the temp gauge on a marine applications because it has a constant fresh supply of cool water. However combustion temps will skyrocket which a exhaust gas temp gauge would show.
    Don is the moderator for this forum (European Am at top of page
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Please post your engine serial number - REMINDER- SERIAL NUMBERS REQUIRED WHEN POSTING

Sitting 5yrs is not good. The entire fuel system needs to be cleaned and verified contact Integrity Injection (Don Weed, also European Marine) - http://www.europeanmarine.org/injectorservice.html
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Very unlikely to see a lean run on the temp gauge on a marine applications because it has a constant fresh supply of cool water. However combustion temps will skyrocket which a exhaust gas temp gauge would show.
    Don is the moderator for this forum (European Am at top of page
    Thanks...I'll open the VST tonight. Assume there is some kind of filter or screens in there for the pumps??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Those who can provide more help than me will want your serial number.

What RPMs are you getting?
    Serial# 1B150760

I am getting like 50 mph @ approx 5500 rpms and that's where it tops out

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Please post your engine serial number - REMINDER- SERIAL NUMBERS REQUIRED WHEN POSTING

Sitting 5yrs is not good. The entire fuel system needs to be cleaned and verified contact Integrity Injection (Don Weed, also European Marine) - http://www.europeanmarine.org/injectorservice.html
    SERIAL# 1B150760

10. Member
    Need fuel and air pressures tested.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Need fuel and air pressures tested.
    I was going to try and get a gauge today...can you use the same gauge to test the fuel and air? Also, do you just check the pressure at idle or does it have to be ran?

12. Member
    Need dual glycerin filled gauges.... Both pressures must be taken at the EXACT same time at idle, while running, and after shutting off.

13. Member
    Need dual glycerin filled gauges.... Both pressures must be taken at the EXACT same time at idle, while running, and after shutting off.
    So I guess the fuel pressure gauge I just rented from Autozone is no good lol! I thought you only needed the dual gauges for testing the tracker valve.

14. Member
    I just took an air and fuel pressure test. I get 80 psi out of the port side and 90 psi out of the starboard side. I have a ton of gas coming out of the starboard side Schrader valve when I hooked up the gauge which I believe is the Airside and should have no fuel correct?

15. Member
    If I’m remembering correctly, port is air, starboard is fuel. Did you get fuel out of both sides?

16. Member
    Think you are right... I just started the boat and shut it off and push the Schrader valve in on the port side with my thumb and air and what looks to be condensation came out but doesn’t smell like fuel

17. Member
    Question...I just removed the airbox and had my son push the hot foot down as far as it will go and that doesn’t fully open the butterfly in the throttle body. There is probably another quarter inch of travel before the linkage hits the stop on the throttle position sensor. Is that right?

No. Needs to go more. See link below:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=237541

Question...I just removed the airbox and had my son push the hot foot down as far as it will go and that doesn’t fully open the butterfly in the throttle body. There is probably another quarter inch of travel before the linkage hits the stop on the throttle position sensor. Is that right?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

19. Member
    Sometimes the butterfly will NOT be completely open...….Its more important that the TPS is reading 100%.

20. Member
    Sometimes the butterfly will NOT be completely open...….Its more important that the TPS is reading 100%.
    My butterfly doesn’t even look half open when the hot foot is pressed ass the way. Are you saying that WOT has to be adjusted while hooked to a computer to see when the TPS shows WOT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast