Noticeable oil on 175 ProXS

2B115186

Can anyone help me out here? I have two issues. I noticed some faint oil on one of the screws of the starboard side fuel rail in the middle. It was only on one of the screws. I applied some light force to the alan screws to see if they were loose but they were pretty snug. Does anyone know what could cause this. It's not dripping. It's only around the screw. Recently I did have some rough starts and don't really know what is causing that.

Second thing is that I noticed some oil around the starboard side bottom spark plug. I loosened the spark plug and it was almost like it wasn't tight enough but I torque these down to spec every time so I don't know how it came loose. I wiped up the oil and retorqued. Could this cause rough starts if it's not tight enough? Could it be a sign of something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Anybody?

3. Member
    retorque plugs /notice any oil drip from above screw ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks Joe. No oil above screw. It was literally just around that.

5. Member
    well I guess id clean it off and watch for any more
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    ^^^^

And if it returns start looking at the compressor oil lines and inspect closely under the compressor pulley.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Injector or injector o-ring has a seeping leak, probably not enough to drip. As the light ends from the gas evaporates it will leave a oily substance of that color behind it is also probably very sticky as well. I doubt your 2 stroke oil is that color. Clean it with brake kleen or carb cleaner and run it on the pipe and I think you will see a moisture film gradually expand out from the injector area. If you look close you can actually see the pattern left by the fuel moving down the rail for about an inch, follow the shiny surface to the source. I will bet you lunch at McDonalds this is what you find
    Of course you will have to come to Sacramento Ca to collect after fishing the Delta all day
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Lol. Thanks. I guess the question is. How do you fix it?

positive ID first, I suspect injector o ring, easy to change be sure to lube it well when installing, try push the injector in place by hand, using the screws to pull it in place you have to be very careful that it does not cock at a angle cutting the new o ring. Use only light pressure with the screws as a aid as you rock a little and continue to push it in place. Do not force it with a hammer or excessive force with the screws

There are two o rings on the injector, replace both of them and I would recommend getting them from Mercury. I would not trust the generic o ring from the parts or hardware stores...…….Verify this is the cause first, it could be coming from a higher locations and that is just where it is concentrating at, kinda like a drop of water running down a windshield, follow the trail to the source
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-12-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Shouldn't be getting oil from injector O-rings. If you do not see any evidence of oil around that screw, clean it up and monitor CAREFULLY. Check for FUEL LEAKS (IMPORTANT).

Need to know what's coming through portions of the system in order to accurately diagnose where liquids come from.

Loose spark plug could certainly affect running quality. As to why it's loose: That's normally because it wasn't tightened. I know- you torqued them. Perhaps an overlook-error, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Shouldn't be getting oil from injector O-rings. If you do not see any evidence of oil around that screw, clean it up and monitor CAREFULLY. Check for FUEL LEAKS (IMPORTANT).

Need to know what's coming through portions of the system in order to accurately diagnose where liquids come from.

Loose spark plug could certainly affect running quality. As to why it's loose: That's normally because it wasn't tightened. I know- you torqued them. Perhaps an overlook-error, though.
    I don't think it is oil, residue from evaporated gas will look identical to that after a little time, I see this all the from leaking injector seals on autos. The color is a give away on this
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's certainly possible. Given the 108-110 psi fuel pressure present on the system when running, it "should" present on a cold/cool morning quite readily.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor