Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hagen

Digital trim trouble shooting

Ser# OT651988 250xs
    Problem I am trying to resolve is after moving trim the reading floats around on mercmoniter before finally settling on a #. It may take 5 seconds other times 20 seconds for it to finally decide where it wants to read at. It may be at 5.2 bump trim up and it up to 5.1, bump it again and we are at 6.1? When trimming all the way down sometimes It lands on 0 sometimes 0.4 or 0.2 It doesn't get to far off track but definitely not consistent.

1- verified I have digital 3 wire sender.
    2- I have calibrated trim multiple times
    3 took 3 wire bullet connectors apart, cleaned and added dielectric grease
    4-removed sender to look for broken unusual parts.
    5- looked wiring over for cuts and abrasions

I have looked back through previous threads stating check ground at swivel bracket. Exactly where is this located? Looked 'all over port side. All grounds appear to be fine. Anyone have a pic of where it is? Is their a way to test sender ? Thanks
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

2. Member
    Check cross pin bushings.
    Check trilobe pin.

3. Hagen
    Are we talking about the rod where the trim ram hits and the bushings on either side of where they hit the bracket of motor. One side would have the digital sensor on it?

4. Member
    Yes. Starboard bushing fall out sometimes. Trilobe pin holds the shaft in place.

5. Hagen
    Well turns out mine has a lot of play in it. Either they are wore out or have fell out. I will try and pick some up tomorrow. Thanks savage

6. Member
    Install new bushings with Loctite......I use loctite 680.

7. Hagen
    Thank you sir

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back on results.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Hagen
    Replaced bushings, the old bushings where still intact ( hadn't fell out) after replacing them running the trim in the shop it still does the same thing. I am thinking I need to replace trim sender?? I have calibrated a few times with same results. In this video we are starting at full down and bumping trim in the UP only.

Calibration process
    Trim down - all the way down
    Max trim- this is at the point where trim changes speed.
    Trailer point - trim will not go any further up.
    Correct?? ^^

10. Hagen
    Got out today to check a few other things and to make a short video of trim while running. Trim is in bottom left of screen. You can see how bad it is jumping around. You can be in perfectly flat water and it still does it. But it will hold true to full trim down even while running. Sorry about crappy video but you get the point.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please check (third, fourth, fifth, whatever it takes) the wiring for the digital sensor.

NOTHING should be plugged into the BROWN w/WHITE STRIPE wire. ONLY use the Blue, Yellow, and BLACK w/Orange Stripe wires on the engine side.

IF YOU MIX THE BROWN w/WHITE INTO THE WIRING- THIS WILL OCCUR.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Hagen
    I'm lost like a ball in high weeds at this point. I must be missing something simple. Here are some pics. What am I missing here? I'll pull lower pan and take more pics if I need to.

3 wires coming from digital trim sender to factory wiring harness

Wires not connected from mercmoniter harness^^

Thought I knew what I was doing but that proved to be wrong. Thanks
    Last edited by minnowlimo; 07-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.

13. Hagen
    Ok don after pulling the pan and searching everywhere this is the only brown with white wire I could find (not plugged in). I went and looked at another newer optimax with mercmoniter system and it appeared that the 8 pin harness that the trim sender plugs into was a little different. Thanks a lot hagen

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hagen- it appears that you are wired correctly.

Just to be sure- pull the 3 wiring (bullet) connectors apart, clean them, and then reconnect. Also inspect the metal connector crimps for any evidence of wire breakage (that would cause intermittent operation).

15. Hagen
    Well after searching every square inch of the system, wiggling wires, checking and cleaning connections i finally just replaced the sending unit. Now all is fine thanks savage and don for all the help.

16. Member

I have found this thread helpful. Thanks for the information. Just curious, which piece in the pictures is the actual trim sending unit?
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    I have found this thread helpful. Thanks for the information. Just curious, which piece in the pictures is the actual trim sending unit?
    The trim sending unit isn't in the pictures posted here.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The first picture in Post# 12 shows the WIRING CONNECTORS for the Digital Trim Sender (sender is not pictured, however).

I think I found mine. Is this it?

If so, what kind of cost are we looking to replace it?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast