First Cook on the Rec Tec

After reading all the other threads and watching BBQ Pitmaster re runs for a while I finally ordered a Rec Tec Trail Blazer 340 on July 3. It came in a day or so ago and today I put the lid on and heated it up. After the initial burn in all I had was a boneless, skinless chicken breast to cook. I put some Little Toney's, season salt, salt and pepper on it and threw it on the grill. I put one of the internal probes in it and started watching the temp rise. To be honest I really wasn't expecting much. I'd heard and read about the food but I was skeptical. After the internal temp reached 160 I let it cook for two minutes and wrapped it in tin foil and let it rest about ten minutes. My first clue came when I took the tin foil off and there was juices in the bottom. I took a knife and started slicing and I couldn't believe what I saw. It was moist and tender and although I did get a little too much seasoning it tasted great. It was a little hot but it was cooked perfectly. I'm already thinking about what's next. If the first cook is a sign of what's to come I know my diet's in trouble. Just thought I'd give a review of my first adventure on a pellet grill/smoker.

No surprise you like it , my only concern with the trailblazer is that its hard to keep temp in the 225 range when its so hot outside ( 95 around Ga. ) , but its a great way to cook for sure , try some baby back ribs with the 3-2-1- method .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    No surprise you like it , my only concern with the trailblazer is that its hard to keep temp in the 225 range when its so hot outside ( 95 around Ga. ) , but its a great way to cook for sure , try some baby back ribs with the 3-2-1- method .
    Call Rec Tec, I was having the same issue last summer with it so hot outside. They will walk you through a change in the settings of your thermostat! Now it works PERFECT no matter the weather here in Ga.

John

4. Banned
    I've been reading up on info...have heard about the feed settings in high heat. Also adding plate of ice. Mostly feed rate though. I'm buying the TB myself...will be in shade on back deck and in Washington state so we only get a few hot days. Please keep posting your learning experiences with the TB

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtobbqright

Love his recipes. I love the Memphis dry rub ribs.
    " A Few Good Fish"

RecTec is so easy to use. You'll be cooking everything on it.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Just received my new Rec Tec stampede last week, I am loving the ease of a pellet grill! Being able to do everything but put the meat on with my phone is really nice too. So far have cooked ribs, brisket, pork chops (thick cut),bacon (thick cut also). Only problem I see is this thing is going to be expensive to maintain! Not the unit itself just suppling it with meat to cook!!
    Vexus DVX19

We cook everything on it.
    " A Few Good Fish"

10. Derek McCullough
    Looking at investing in a new grill and really torn between one of these or a ceramic grill like a BGE or a KJ. Cliff, do you own both?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    Looking at investing in a new grill and really torn between one of these or a ceramic grill like a BGE or a KJ. Cliff, do you own both?
    As of now I'm a 2 egg family. Saving money to buy the Trailblazer from rectec. Why would I buy a rectec?...Simply put...I bought 2 eggs.....I want quality and a great product and knowing the warranty and customer service seem to rate high for these 2. Never looked back but I'm looking forward to the rectec future. I'm not buying a gas grill so the RT is going to become a well used after work cooking machine. My mini max will still be my steak cooker as 700° over red hot coal is tough to beat. I'll be a happy family of 3 awesome units.

IMG_20180719_191945_584.jpg

This was easily over 800°.....forgot about it for a bit. No need to worry with ceramics though.
    Last edited by Clif Kincaid; 07-19-2018 at 09:25 PM.