Thread: Quantico Creek

Quantico Creek

Taking a retired Marine out Thursday evening, picking him up at the ramp next to the bridge. Prefer not to run all over to find a few fish since we only have a few hours. Anyone been in Quantico, just wondering if there is any grass in there. If you want to tell me your specific spots, baits, which type of vegetation, line size, Rod action, etc., won't turn down any advice. JK and Thanks, Ron

2. mikesxpress
    Go in there and sling a frog. Lots of grass inside.

3. Member
    Mike, Notice you didn't tell me the color frog, style, line size, reel ratio, technique. For one who normally is full of facts and data, your vague answer is disappointing....but thanks anyway ����
    Last edited by RonCat; 07-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.

4. mikesxpress
    Ron not a vague answer. Simplistic answer.
    Folks can make this frog fishing (and most other fishing) overly complex and it's not. It's just a brim your trying to catch.
    Frog: black or white. Anything else is for the fisherman. Not the fish. They only see a shadow making noise and tugging at the weed tops. Predatory reaction takes over.
    Braid or mono 17lb. Both work but I find I can get longer casts with mono. Fastest reel you own and cover more water.

Frog type: Whatever you have confidence in. I use what will easily come across the grass based on tide level. Grass flooded/submerged use a fast frog like a Ribbit. Tops showing to matted with holes use a hollow body walking or popping frog. You have to play with the retrieve to see what sets them off.
    Once you locate a section of grass that has some activity circle back to it throughout the tide movement. They are there for a reason. Standard tidal format. Water goes up. Fish go up. Water goes out. Fish go out.

I operate under the program that you stand allot better chance at pissing me off than making me hungry. Fish are not much different.

That better??
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-11-2018 at 06:00 AM.

5. Member
    interesting that you fish your frogs on Mono...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Folks can make this frog fishing (and most other fishing) overly complex and it's not. It's just a brim your trying to catch.
    Frog: black or white. Anything else is for the fisherman. Not the fish. They only see a shadow making noise and tugging at the weed tops. Predatory reaction takes over.
    Braid or mono 17lb. Both work but I find I can get longer casts with mono. Fastest reel you own and cover more water.

Frog type: Whatever you have confidence in. I use what will easily come across the grass based on tide level. Grass flooded/submerged use a fast frog like a Ribbit. Tops showing to matted with holes use a hollow body walking or popping frog. You have to play with the retrieve to see what sets them off.
    Once you locate a section of grass that has some activity circle back to it throughout the tide movement. They are there for a reason. Standard tidal format. Water goes up. Fish go up. Water goes out. Fish go out.

I operate under the program that you stand allot better chance at pissing me off than making me hungry. Fish are not much different.

That better??
    Spot on!

7. Member
    And I sometimes do on 20lb mono. It works fine.

8. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    interesting that you fish your frogs on Mono...
    It was around long before braid and it floats. The action of the frog is much different on mono vs braid. To many folks watching sticker boat guys on TV selling crap.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-11-2018 at 09:53 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

That better??
    Well, my smiley emoji did not come up to indicate I was joking; of course the ? marks got me an always appreciate education Mike!

10. mikesxpress
    Ron you already defined the area. I don't mind helping folks catch fish but I am not going to tell them were to go to do it. That's just lazy...