Lake Gaston frog Bite!!!

Well guys, it has been a while since I have posted on here. Fishing my home waters of the James, Pamunkey, and Mattaponi have been nonexistent due to all the rain we have had before last week. So we took our family vacation the week of the 4th at Lake Gaston. We where there for 10 days and I must say I needed to come home, due to no sleep, eating to much, and having to much fun.

When we got there it was HHHOOOTTTTT!!!!! So I only fished about 4-5 hours in the first 3 days or so. The fishing was very slow. One here one there, no size, some on crankbaits, some on worms. Then comes the front. The day before the front I went out by myself and decided to through a frog in the grass from great creek to the 85 bridge on points. I caught quite a few and mostly what I consider good fish in the 2-3 pound range. So the next morning One of my kids, my brother and myself head out to throw a frog. All I can say is wow!!! We probably caught 15-20 fish in about 3 hours and most all were in the 2-3 lb range. Then that evening we did the same thing. The next day we did the same thing. Then it slowly faded away the next couple of days. The only thing I could have asked for was 1 really good fish, but I nor anyone else could muster one up.

I am not a big frog fisherman, but damn that was fun. Most fish had the entire frog down their throat. All the kids caught some as well. I prefer to use the Ish Phat Daddy poppin frog, and only had 1 in black. I used it for about 4 days and it is destroyed. I super glued it 3 time and it has about 50 tiny holes on each side from the hook puncturing the sides. I had never imagined getting bit that many time on a frog.

Some other highlights of the week were my twins (12 yoa) both went wakeboarding for the first time and both got up and were able to learn a little. Did a little tubing. Had some friends and family stop by for the 4th as we had a cook out with homemade BBQ, Smoke chicken wings, Striper dip and so much more. Also we went to the point for the fireworks show. I love the show and the atmosphere of being on the water.

I hope everyone is doing well as we are getting to the dog days of summer. I hope to spend a little time at my home waters in the next couple weeks.

Happy fishing!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Sounds like a great week! Congrats on getting on some solid fish!!
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

3. Member
    we had that 5 years ago. actually dropped the boat off the lift just north of eatons ferry at noon. hot as hell but a buddy wanted to frog fish so we hit docks and grass in shade. by far the best day Ive ever had on a frog. we caught 12 fish from 4.2 to 7.6lbs. we then fished for 3 days doing the same thing and had great days every day. nothing in weight like the first but a ton of fish. havent been able to duplicate since. haha

4. Member
    I think I ran into you Saturday morning. Just west of Holly Grove we crossed on a small point. I fished that morning and only caught 3 dinks. (I have got to get better at this).
    Going to try and get my son out with me early Sat or Sunday. I can just am unsure of where to go or what to use most of the time. But I enjoy it and will get better with time I guess.
    Semper Fi

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    I think I ran into you Saturday morning. Just west of Holly Grove we crossed on a small point. I fished that morning and only caught 3 dinks. (I have got to get better at this).
    Going to try and get my son out with me early Sat or Sunday. I can just am unsure of where to go or what to use most of the time. But I enjoy it and will get better with time I guess.
    oh ok we chatted for a couple seconds?? You said you were fishing the stretch right beside your house?? If so yea I remember that. That day was pretty good for us. I normally do not have days like that on Gaston. Most of the time it is a few here and there no major pattern.

I do have something I want to try though. I want to go way down lake on the deepest gras and try a jerkbait. We have been catching them ok with crankbaits on the deep grass, but with the clearer water down lake and even deeper water i think the all mighty LC pointer might do some damage.
    Last edited by JINXBASS; 07-11-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I cant type
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    we had that 5 years ago. actually dropped the boat off the lift just north of eatons ferry at noon. hot as hell but a buddy wanted to frog fish so we hit docks and grass in shade. by far the best day Ive ever had on a frog. we caught 12 fish from 4.2 to 7.6lbs. we then fished for 3 days doing the same thing and had great days every day. nothing in weight like the first but a ton of fish. havent been able to duplicate since. haha

Man that was a great day. Those were some monster fish!!! I wish i could of found a biggun or two... or three.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    I haven't been to Gaston in a long time how thick is the grass? I guess it is matted up pretty good if you are throwing a frog?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I haven't been to Gaston in a long time how thick is the grass? I guess it is matted up pretty good if you are throwing a frog?
    Not really a mat but some is very thick and cant get much other than a 1.5 ounce weight into it but the edges are where most bites come from. Some patches of grass are thinner which seemed to produce more fish. As far a how much grass. I would say about normal. But it is a lot.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    Wow. Thanks for a good report from good old Gaston. Sounds like ya'll had some fun.

10. Member
    It was definitely fun. Heading there this weekend to try again.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx