Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    About 10 years too late.
    +1

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Looks like another step forward. ICE. Enough ice to cool 70,000 lb of carp per day

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Looks like another step forward. ICE. Enough ice to cool 70,000 lb of carp per day
    It's great news! I was shocked that it cost $200,000 though.

ICE MACHINE NOW AVAILABLE!!!!

War on Carp Progress happening by a partnering between Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, Kentucky State Parks and TVA!!

Ron Brooks with the KY Fish and Wildlife Department has announced KDFWR spent over $200,000 for a 7-ton a day flake ice machine and freezer specifically for our Commercial Carp Fishermen - picture attached.

Kentucky State Parks partnered with KDFWR on this effort by allowing this project to take advantage of the land!

TVA also donated $5,000 to help with electricity costs of the Ice machine and freezer.

The free ice is available to commercial fishermen targeting Asian carp in Kentucky and Barkley lakes, and it is an incentive to get more fishermen working the two reservoirs.

Each day, there is enough ice produced to cool 70,000 pounds of Asian carp harvested for the processors.

I appreciate seeing action and cooperation to make it easier for our Commercial Fishermen targeting these silver and big head carp!! This is great news and more to come!

WADE WHITE
    LYON COUNTY JUDGE EXECUTIVE

4. Member
    So with this Ice machine now available has there been any word as to additional production ? Or is it just too early to know yet.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So with this Ice machine now available has there been any word as to additional production ? Or is it just too early to know yet.
    I saw pictures posted of boys using the ice machine this weekend to ice down their catch.

As far as production, there's enough capacity in the area to handle over 17 million pounds a year. Fishermen have only been bringing in about 1 to 2 million pounds per year, and most of those have come from the river instead of the lakes due to the lengthy drive and need for ice for the ones taken from the lakes. Hopefully the ice machine gets more fishermen on KY and Barkley going after the Asian Carp.

It's not a capacity issue, it's an issue of getting the fishermen to go after them. The ice helps with the lengthy drive from the lakes to the processors, just need to get more of a subsidy in place to up the price to encourage more fishermen to go after them. KDFWR already has a $0.05/lb subsidy in place making up the majority of the $0.07/lb that the fishermen are getting. Need another $0.05/lb subsidy to make it worthwhile as there are plenty of other species that pay more per lb with less work.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I saw pictures posted of boys using the ice machine this weekend to ice down their catch.

As far as production, there's enough capacity in the area to handle over 17 million pounds a year. Fishermen have only been bringing in about 1 to 2 million pounds per year, and most of those have come from the river instead of the lakes due to the lengthy drive and need for ice for the ones taken from the lakes. Hopefully the ice machine gets more fishermen on KY and Barkley going after the Asian Carp.

It's not a capacity issue, it's an issue of getting the fishermen to go after them. The ice helps with the lengthy drive from the lakes to the processors, just need to get more of a subsidy in place to up the price to encourage more fishermen to go after them. KDFWR already has a $0.05/lb subsidy in place making up the majority of the $0.07/lb that the fishermen are getting. Need another $0.05/lb subsidy to make it worthwhile as there are plenty of other species that pay more per lb with less work.
    Yeah I worded my question poorly. What I meant was has the new ice machine got additional people on the water fishing for them. I know the resources to process are there. Curious if people have started taking advantage of the machines yet.

7. Banned

8. Banned
    KDFWR is close to signing a deal with some company to provide a fish valet service, where the fish will be picked up at designated ramps and the commercial fishermen won't even have to haul them to the processor. I think that will be a huge help.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/08/1...-carp-problem/

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife is close to signing a contract that would set up a program that would pick the carp up at the lake and take them to market for the fishermen.

“It’s called a fish house and with the fish house they have actual trucks that will be able to pick up these up here at the boat ramps,” said White.

9. Member
    KDFWR is close to signing a deal with some company to provide a fish valet service, where the fish will be picked up at designated ramps and the commercial fishermen won't even have to haul them to the processor. I think that will be a huge help.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/08/1...-carp-problem/

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife is close to signing a contract that would set up a program that would pick the carp up at the lake and take them to market for the fishermen.

“It’s called a fish house and with the fish house they have actual trucks that will be able to pick up these up here at the boat ramps,” said White.
    Ohhh yes that would be a big bonus.

Man thats a big a$$ ice machine. God I could imagine being out in 95 degree weather all day to come back to that machine and just walk in and lay down LOL Would be amazing.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Man thats a big a$$ ice machine.
    No joke! It puts out 7 tons of ice per day. I buy ice 22 lbs for $2 at the "Twice the Ice" machines in town, that's $1,272 a day coming from that machine assuming you sold it all.

11. Member
    No joke! It puts out 7 tons of ice per day. I buy ice 22 lbs for $2 at the "Twice the Ice" machines in town, that's $1,272 a day coming from that machine assuming you sold it all.
    Nice to see your math skills are still sharp. #engineerrighthere
    Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzking View Post
    Nice to see your math skills are still sharp. #engineerrighthere
    Man I thought you had been trampled by ponies or something. Guess I couldn't get that lucky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12