windshield mounts

Anyone found a better way than the plastic clips for securing the windshield? I am more than positive this topic has probably been covered before but I couldn't find it. I have bought new clips before but they do not hold up. I have thought about bolting the windshields on but was wondering if anyone has done this, how it has turned out and if you have any pictures.

Thanks guys

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    What's not holding up. About every boat manufacturer uses them. I've owned 3 Champs over the last 25 years and never had a failure ...

3. Member
    I've had the same thing happen on the clips. Eventually the spring wears out. Just replace them, much better than bolting the windshields on ESPECIALLY when it comes time when you have to remove them.

Bolt them on and you'll be buying new windshields regularly. The rigid mount will transfer vibration to the screws/bolts which will start small cracks. Eventually they will grow into larger cracks.

5. Member
    ^^^^Yeah, I had that happen on my previous boats as well^^^^

They seem to twist open on my boat as well. May look for a little stronger springs.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

7. Banned
    Just saying, not arguing. My Skeeter had screwed on windshields, but they weren’t see through, so maybe they were thicker or a different material.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Mine are bolt thru no issues, rubber washer behind them and screw cap cover for the bolt head for appearance. Haven't lost a windshield yet.

9. Member
    I added large rubber washers on outside between the clip and the shield. It tightened them up and no rattles or shakes.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

10. Member
    Gentlemen, where are you finding the replacement fasteners for the windshields?? I have few missing on my Champion 190.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desrtracr View Post
    Gentlemen, where are you finding the replacement fasteners for the windshields?? I have few missing on my Champion 190.
    C & O Marine

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    What's not holding up. About every boat manufacturer uses them. I've owned 3 Champs over the last 25 years and never had a failure ...
    X2

Stretch out the springs a little so more tension?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri