Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I bought my Relions (1x100ah and 3x50ah) and DualPro charger from BBC member hunter689. He is a Relion rep. I have no regrets and will buy Lithiums again if these ever die. I had a custom battery tray made for the 3 50ah lithium batteries. It cost about $75.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I bought my Relions (1x100ah and 3x50ah) and DualPro charger from BBC member hunter689. He is a Relion rep. I have no regrets and will buy Lithiums again if these ever die..
    +1...very satisfied. 4 Relion RB 80's in my Ranger. Reprogramed dual pro for charging. I'm just past the first year of ownership, absolutely no issues. Did have a little slow turnover of the optimax in low 30 temps early this year, (after sitting outside all night) but it did start, and after the first start, no problem at all. Next year for any cold weather fishing will carry one of the small lithium powered jumpers. Just in case.

3. Member
    Hey guys, bringing this one back...so I only have a 24 volt TM. Is there an option to buy 2 12v lithium’s and run them in series or just buy a 24 volt? I guess I’m just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to run lithium for my TM and what the options are...thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cweb; 10-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.

4. Joe4d
    can do either,, but if it was me Id go 2 12's so u can add a jump option without getting complicated with a step down transformer.

5. Member
    It was worth it for me. Including balast, I dropped 280 lbs and now my batteries last all day no matter how windy. (I used to occasionally totally drain a set of group 31 AGM's)

Quote Originally Posted by cweb View Post
    Hey guys, bringing this one back...so I only have a 24 volt TM. Is there an option to buy 2 12v lithium’s and run them in series or just buy a 24 volt? I guess I’m just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to run lithium for my TM and what the options are...thanks in advance!
    I was facing the same dilemma and chose from the advice of others to go with 2 12 volt batteries because of charging. I have a dual Pro charger that can be reprogrammed to charge lithium's. Had I gone with a single 24 I would have had to buy a expensive charger. So, I went with 2 12 volts and wired them in series.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I was facing the same dilemma and chose from the advice of others to go with 2 12 volt batteries because of charging. I have a dual Pro charger that can be reprogrammed to charge lithium's. Had I gone with a single 24 I would have had to buy a expensive charger. So, I went with 2 12 volts and wired them in series.
    thank you. What amp hrs did you go with? Brand? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cweb View Post
    thank you. What amp hrs did you go with? Brand? Thanks
    I went with two 50 ah batteries. I made a slight modification to my 31 series battery tray and they both fit in it. So, I removed two 70# batteries (140#'s) and replaced it with two batteries they fit the same profile as one 31 series and put back 30#'s. I basically removed 110#'s. I have fished all day with them from daylight to 4 P.M. and they were going strong when I quit fishing. I ran them down to about 15% life left that day. That day is wasn't real windy just a normal breeze and I wasn't fishing heavy tide or strong currents. I plan on adding a Stealth charger to the set up and I am positive that will fix any issue I may have with battery life when fishing heavy current or strong winds. I am so far very happy with my decision to g with the 50ah's instead of the 80'sor 100's.

9. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Just curious how you determined you had 15% remaining? Do you have a something like a dual Victron setup?

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    Just curious how you determined you had 15% remaining? Do you have a something like a dual Victron setup?
    Just a guess using the charts supplied on the Relion web site. Notice I said about.

11. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Just a guess using the charts supplied on the Relion web site. Notice I said about.
    Understood... We are working on a "fuel gauge" system for lithium but there are a *few* challenges. The design isn't a problem but keeping costs down and making it marine compatible is the holy grail. We haven't seen anything else on the marine market except Victron and you have to have one on each battery ($200 + x 2 or 3).

I also run 50 Ah (3 bank) and have had up to 2 full days of fishing between charges (regular fishing....not super windy but using spot lock a lot!).....but don't have an accurate way to tell depth of discharge (or remaining charge).... (yet!)

Thanks,
    Roy

Understood... We are working on a "fuel gauge" system for lithium but there are a *few* challenges. The design isn't a problem but keeping costs down and making it marine compatible is the holy grail. We haven't seen anything else on the marine market except Victron and you have to have one on each battery ($200 + x 2 or 3).

I also run 50 Ah (3 bank) and have had up to 2 full days of fishing between charges (regular fishing....not super windy but using spot lock a lot!).....but don't have an accurate way to tell depth of discharge (or remaining charge).... (yet!)

Thanks,
    Roy
    The best I can remember they were at 12.93 volts each. Looking back at the chart on the web page I may have been closer to 10% charge left. It was still going strong and I even went to the local river and fished for about 20 minutes prior to charging them. I need to pick a day on one of the tidal rivers around here and really put them to the test. When I do I will create a thread with the full run down on how they performed.

13. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    do you have a link to that web page?

do you have a link to that web page?
    https://relionbattery.com/products/lithium/rb50

The chart titled "State of Charge"

15. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    One of the issues with using Open Circuit Voltage to determine State of Charge (SoC) on lithium iron phosphate is that they have the flattest discharge curve of all battery types, which makes it very difficult to estimate SoC on a simple voltage measurement. The voltage difference between two SoC values may be so small that it is not possible to estimate the state of charge with good precision.

I understand you are using the tools available to you but I found it unusual, based on our experiences, that you discharged your 50Ah bank in a single day to that low level unless you were in heavy current or high winds for a long period of time. Some of the LiFePo4 batteries on the market have integrated BlueTooth bms systems that measure actual current in and out. The results from the bms "gas gauge" app seems to point to a average discharge of no more than 50% on a typical fishing day using 112 Ultex. While I do not claim these are particularly accurate, they come close to mirroring my on-the-water experience.

I know ReLion is investigating a couple of approaches to bring us tools to give us a "gas gauge" but not quite here yet.

One of the issues with using Open Circuit Voltage to determine State of Charge (SoC) on lithium iron phosphate is that they have the flattest discharge curve of all battery types, which makes it very difficult to estimate SoC on a simple voltage measurement. The voltage difference between two SoC values may be so small that it is not possible to estimate the state of charge with good precision.

I understand you are using the tools available to you but I found it unusual, based on our experiences, that you discharged your 50Ah bank in a single day to that low level unless you were in heavy current or high winds for a long period of time. Some of the LiFePo4 batteries on the market have integrated BlueTooth bms systems that measure actual current in and out. The results from the bms "gas gauge" app seems to point to a average discharge of no more than 50% on a typical fishing day using 112 Ultex. While I do not claim these are particularly accurate, they come close to mirroring my on-the-water experience.

I know ReLion is investigating a couple of approaches to bring us tools to give us a "gas gauge" but not quite here yet.

Well whatever, just telling you what I know to be true. I checked the voltage of the batteries before I went fishing. They were a 13.22 I fished from daylight to 4 pm in light wind and in light current. When I was done and got home I out my multimeter and checked them. They were at 12.93 volts and as far as I know a 12.93 volts is 12.93 volts. Plus, your higher voltage setup is going to use less amps than my lower voltage set up. Maybe that's why you get a much longer run time. There isn't much info out there on how to size a Lithium. I looked all over this site and the web and found a lot of different opinions. Some said 50ah was plenty for a 24 volt setup other said it wasn't. I wanted to lose as much weight as I could so I rolled the dice with 50ah's. I just tried to come back and share my experience with whoever would like to read it. I wish the experts would create a thread and pin it to the top of this forum.

17. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    I understand... That is why we need accurate real world measurement to give us information we can use to make the best decision for our particular application and equipment. Unfortunately the old method of determining SoC with a voltmeter doesn't really work with lithium technology. We need real in/out current measurements and we just don't have that at a reasonable price point right now.

The only product with which I am passingly familiar is the Victron devices which at $200 ea (and you need one for each battery) is a bit too much $$$.

The reality is we really only need a couple of good measurement studies to help serve as a sizing guide for trolling motor batteries in different scenarios. Like you, I chose my batteries based on another persons 3+ year experience with the same 50Ah batteries and whose fishing style and equipment I know well. He has never come close to running out of power but the engineer in me wants to measure things....yes...it is but one of my MANY faults...just ask my wife...she has the full list...<LOL>

R

18. Member
    I've been running Lithiums for 3.5 years. The Relion 80 am well outlast Odessey PCM 2150 group 31 battery. With lead acid batteries, you can detect when they start going down, due to lack of power. With Lithiums, you don't know how much reserve you have left. When they go down, it's a very short window, as in your trolling motor time is completely over. It's not an apples to apples comparison on lead vs lithium. But I won't go back to lead acid batteries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12