175 XRi EFI doesn't want to take off first thing, then jumps on plane rest of day

I've got a Mercury XRi EFI 175 on a Ranger 481vs. Serial is 0D123631. It starts up at the beginning of the day relatively easily (sometimes requires advancing the throttle a little), but as soon as I go to take off it hesitates and sort of bogs down for 10-15 seconds before finally taking off and getting on plane producing a fair amount of extra smoke in the process of getting going. For every subsequent takeoff throughout the day it jumps up on plane without issue, even if I let off of it as soon as it gets on plane the first time to try again. It's almost like it's got something that builds up when it sits that it has to "blow out" by making it through a takeoff before running right. It's done this for as long as I've owned it, but it's something I'd definitely like to get figured out!

Spark plugs are probably 2 months old and the problem has persisted over several sets of plugs, compression (as read by a Harbor Freight gauge) is 118-120 across all 6 cylinders, fuel lines from the tank to the motor have been replaced within the last year or so, primer bulb was replaced at about the same time, pulse fuel pump was rebuilt at the same time (admittedly due for it again, but it had the issue before rebuilding it), fuel filter (fuel/water separator) is new. I always pump the primer bulb firm before starting.

After looking through a manual for the motor, my initial thought was that the issue was related to the exhaust relief ports on the back of the motor being submerged when the motor is trimmed all the way down, but it would seem that this issue would remain throughout the day and not just the first takeoff of the day. Is it possible that the exhaust relief ports being submerged could only cause the motor to struggle first thing in the morning? I do have a jackplate I need to get around to installing that would likely solve that problem or at least rule it out. I've also tried the technique of beginning to take off with the motor trimmed higher then trimming down as the boat begins to clear the water a little. There have been times it seems like it helps, while others it seems like it does not.

The problem also seems to be worse if I let the motor warm up/idle longer before taking off. Idling before taking off for short or long periods later in the day doesn't affect it.

This one really has me stumped. The behavior of only doing it the first takeoff of the day then working wonderfully after that is the strangest part for me.

Thanks for any guidance you all can offer!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    need to test air and cyl temp sensors
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I can figure out how to do that and do it...but would that be something that only is a problem on the first takeoff of the day, irrespective of how long I let it warm up (and actually seem to get worse with more warmup)? Seems like bad sensors would cause issues all the time, or maybe even random intermittent issues. But for the problem to be so consistent and predictable, I just can't see it. Obviously I'm no marine mechanic so I'm truly don't know.

I've been doing a bunch of Googling and searching these boards (north of 6 hours) including placing quotation marks just about every which way I could around certain key words and finally happened upon some people having similar issues that were said to be caused by a check valve on the VST. Could that be it? If I'm looking at the right one, it's part number 21-424811. $40 for a check valve sucks, but if that will take care of it I'll gladly pay it. I also understand that I'd need to bleed the oil injection after that which I would need to read up on. Any thoughts? Or tips for bleeding that oil injection after changing the check valve?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    very possible that check valve could be failing, mix tank 50:1 and go run it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Ill say it is that the plugs are fouled . My 2 efi mercs did it. Current carb Merc does it as well. Doesnt matter if new or old plugs for me. My issue got better after I installed Bobs Machine plug wires. Cut the cold bog by at least half.

6. Member
    Have a promax 200 that does the EXACT same thing. Never been able to figure it out either.

7. Member
    also check spark arm for full movement advance when cold