Fuel Leak/Continuous Engine Alarm - 2012 Pro XS 150 - SN (1B884799)

Good morning, all. I haven’t had an opportunity to get my Basscat Margay out in a hot minute. I went out to the ramp Friday, I attempted to start the motor and noticed almost immediately fuel leaking from the seam of the cowl. I pulled the boat out of the water , popped the cowl off and notice the fuel leaking from the top of the fitting & fuel line. I was able to push the fuel line (believe it’s the connection to the on-engine reservoir) and the leak stopped. Thinking I had resolved the issue, I put the boat back in the water, cranked the engine, didn’t notice any leaks, let it idle for around 5 minutes. Shortly thereafter, the engine alarm went off (continuous.) Best I can recall, the engine was “peeing.” So I pulled it back out again, i notice the same issue with the fuel line raised up from the fitting. At this point, i believe i need a new clamp for the fuel line. Is it possible, that the fuel pressure caused the continuous alarm?

2012 Bass Cat Margay / 150hp ProXS

2. Member
    Wrong forums Sir, this forum is for 3.0 liter motors.

3. Member
    Thank you, my apologies. I attempted to delete but do not see the option.

4. Member
    This is correct one (should be an "&" between displacements and high performance) - Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely need to replace the clamp- and likely either replace the line, or trim down the end to remove the deteriorated material.

STRONGLY recommend testing fuel for ethanol content. Almost never see that type of deterioration on this particular line!

Fuel leak will not cause the warning horn, in and of itself. Something else occurring there.

INSPECT ALL FUEL LINES FOR DETERIORATION!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you for the feedback. I will check the line for deterioration. I am adding the Vesselview mobile to check the faults.

7. Member
    As a follow up, I stopped by my mercury dealer today. Grabbed a new clamp for the fuel line. Took the old one off, cut a small section of hose, no signs whatsoever of damage or deterioration. Placed a new clamp on, very snug no concerns going forward.

i did put some muffs on today, I do notice that that there is no water coming out from the tell tale, continuous alarm after 5 mins. I checked for blockage and found none. I bought a water pump kit, I’ll get that changed out tomorrow and see if that is what was causing the continuous alarm.

8. Member
    No telltale is bad. How did you check for blockage? What I'd do is remove the telltale hose at compressor and blow compressed air through the hose away from compressor. If unobstructed, I'd then pull the lower cowl and confirm compressor strainer is not blocked, see this post - Compressor STRAINER Cleaning.

If both of those are clear, you've got what you need. Be sure to replace all 3 gaskets, the plate, and impeller. Since the kit contains all the parts plus the housing I replace it whenever I service my water pump which should be annually or every 100hrs whichever comes first.

The telltale come from the compressor, no telltale means no water circulating through compressor. It's likely the alarm you're hearing is a compressor overheat.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Yes I replaced the water pump/impeller, got the tale tell to finally show, decent stream. However, I still get alarm. I put in the vessel view mobile and this is the fault I get. Pretty generic.

10. Member
    Remove and check both thermostats for debris, this might help - Thermostat removal/replacement for Optimax Engines

Thought I'd add, the above is primarily for 3L engines but process is same for all. I've been able to remove my thermostats without loosening the fuel rail by using a stubby 8mm wrench. Takes a little finagling, but it can be done. I prefer not to disturb the fuel rails if I don't absolutely have to. Also, the 2.5L doesn't use gaskets, there are o-rings instead and thermostats are 143° instead of 120°

Be sure to check the compressor strainer if you haven't already done so. Will be watching for your followup.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 07-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you replaced the impeller (Very Critical!​)- Did you replace THREE (3) Gaskets?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I believe it was 2 rubber/felt type gaskets sandwiched between a metal one.

13. Member
    did you pull pump base out and replace that gasket ,no = remove and replace it [under wp base]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    did you pull pump base out and replace that gasket ,no = remove and replace it [under wp base]
    +1 to both Don and Joe's input, there are 3 gaskets, see reply #8.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax