Thread: Wire gauge?

Wire gauge?

Gonna do some rewiring to find my amp draw so I’ll be running dedicated wires to all units (7610sxv’s w/panoptix) is 10 awg recommended or 12?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

10 gauge Anchor or other marine grade wire is perfect.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Garmin 7610 power consumption
    Max power usage at 10 Vdc: 30 W
    Typical current draw at 12 Vdc: 1.95 A
    Max current draw at 12 Vdc: 2.5 A

Panoptix LiveScope System
    Power input 10-32 Vdc
    Power usage 21 W typical, 58 W max 4.85A

14 or 16 gauge wire marine wire will work fine.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Binder View Post
    Garmin 7610 power consumption
    Max power usage at 10 Vdc: 30 W
    Typical current draw at 12 Vdc: 1.95 A
    Max current draw at 12 Vdc: 2.5 A

Panoptix LiveScope System
    Power input 10-32 Vdc
    Power usage 21 W typical, 58 W max 4.85A

14 or 16 gauge wire marine wire will work fine.
    I wanted to ask because when I had Humminbird Onix units they really needed 10awg to for full power.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    I wanted to ask because when I had Humminbird Onix units they really needed 10awg to for full power.
    They still do with any manufactures units. Of course you can use the stock boat wiring. What I and others have found is the stock wiring is pretty inadequate. Running 10 gauge or even 8 gauge from the battery to your console to a Blueseas fuse panel is much better. To test the theory use a volt meter on the stock wiring at the console and bow. Then run some 10 gauge from the battery to the bow. Check with the volt meter again. Then check both readings against your battery voltage. You might be surprised!

I even installed a on/off toggle switch next to the Blue seas fuse panel. This allows me to shut down or power up all my electronics seperately from boat power..
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    They still do with any manufactures units. Of course you can use the stock boat wiring. What I and others have found is the stock wiring is pretty inadequate. Running 10 gauge or even 8 gauge from the battery to your console to a Blueseas fuse panel is much better. To test the theory use a volt meter on the stock wiring at the console and bow. Then run some 10 gauge from the battery to the bow. Check with the volt meter again. Then check both readings against your battery voltage. You might be surprised!

I even installed a on/off toggle switch next to the Blue seas fuse panel. This allows me to shut down or power up all my electronics seperately from boat power..
    I was planning on running a main fuse block of some sort with a master shut off.

I think I will just run 10awg dedicated lines for each piece of electronics on the boat. Is that overkill for even the Hydraulic JP gauge and hydrowave?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

7. Member
    I just ordered a blue seas 12 circuit panel box and 250' of 12/2 marine wire. that should do the trick!
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man