350 Mercury Verado or Mercury 300 XS Pro V8

Hello to all. I am ordering a new Ranger 621FS Cup edition, the options for the motor are as follows: 350 Mercury Verado or the new Mercury 300 XS pro V8 not sure what motor to go with. I put off placing my order due to relocating residence and lost the ability of getting a Mercury 300 Verado. So Ranger no longer sales the 621FS with the 300 Verado option in the CUP packages. So I am stuck with either the new V8 300 or a 350 Verado. Not sure which way to go. Dealer recommended the 350 Verado. But that extra 7000.00 for 50 more horsepower is high. Yes I understand the 350 Verado is a supercharged motor and the 300 Verado is being replaced with the 300XS just not sure it the 300 will make the 621FS go as it is a heavy boat.

Just got my 621 fs and missed the option for the 300 v8 by weeks but have pondered the same question. The 350 is a great motor. Doubt the v8 would offer the same performance but who knows. If you get the v8, post your numbers.

3. Banned
    The 350 is also 163lbs heavier and even though the replacement for displacement is boost, torque is what's going to move a big boat. The Verado is a 2.6L I6 and I doubt it has a 2L supercharger making 14.7 psi which is what is needed to make the same amount of torque essentially as the 4.6L V8 though maybe someone can chime in with the specs. Keep in mind the Verado requires 89 octane for all 350hp otherwise it's pulling timing and make less, whereas the 300 Pro XS make max hp with only 87 octane and is going to sound better being a v8, hope that helps.

Hooyah, MA2
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.

poor information, must have been staring at the 400r
    Last edited by Fishysam; 07-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

There is a bit of misinformation here. The v8 300 with verado AMS and 350 AMS verado are 68lbs different in weight. The 621 actually benefits from the weight since it is heavy in the bow due to the console being forward. It also needs a plate for even more rearward balance. Redline on a 350 Verado is 6400 not 7000. The 350 requires 91 octane to make 350. It is a proven torque beast and does not suffer from reduced performance due to tempurature and altitude differences.

I know a number of walleye guys with the 300/350 Vrod, they're only complaint is horrible gas mileage compared to Yamahas in the same hp range. I wonder if the non supercharged v8s will get better fuel usage compared to the supercharged I6

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    I know a number of walleye guys with the 300/350 Vrod, they're only complaint is horrible gas mileage compared to Yamahas in the same hp range. I wonder if the non supercharged v8s will get better fuel usage compared to the supercharged I6
    Forced induction runs at a richer AFR when under a load, so use more fuel to make the same amount of power NA. Though overall usage will depend on how much idling is done as that will favor the smaller displacement engine not making boost. Which this article states is actually 29psi according to the article below, so the supercharger is probably around 1.0L. Spinning a supercharger faster creates more heat from compression, though if intercooler is efficient enough won't suffer in as much loss of power in the heat from lower density altitude.
    http://www.boattest.com/engines/arti...px?ID=10000040
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-10-2018 at 10:06 AM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    There is a bit of misinformation here. The v8 300 with verado AMS and 350 AMS verado are 68lbs different in weight. The 621 actually benefits from the weight since it is heavy in the bow due to the console being forward. It also needs a plate for even more rearward balance. Redline on a 350 Verado is 6400 not 7000. The 350 requires 91 octane to make 350. It is a proven torque beast and does not suffer from reduced performance due to tempurature and altitude differences.
    I took the 7000.00 to be dollars, not rpm's? The 300 Pro XS has a 6200 limiter and weighs 505lbs, where did you come up with 91 octane as mercury's website state 89? I'll admit I misread 621 as a 521 cup edition bassboat, my apologies and the low end of the roots supercharger will be better with instant torque on a deep v boat.
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.

I have a 350 verado on a Jaguar. It burns right at 30 gph at WOT but at 5000 rpms more like 13 gph. It has excellent hole shot and torque through out the rpm band. It is a sweet engine. I cannot compare it to the new V8. It makes it 350 with 91 but will run on 89. To be honest I cannot tell a difference in performance between the two octanes. The verado is smooth and quiet. I am sure the new motor is awesome but their is a reason they are still making the 350 verado.

10. Member
    There is published pricing showing the 350 vrod is about $3000 over the 300 proxs v8.

Could you do the 300r? It's more powerful than the 300 pro xs but the same lower weight, and the cost is in between. Might be the best compromise between the two.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    There is published pricing showing the 350 vrod is about $3000 over the 300 proxs v8.

Could you do the 300r? It's more powerful than the 300 pro xs but the same lower weight, and the cost is in between. Might be the best compromise between the two.
    The 300R has a shorter runner intake and different cam for higher rpm power which will make for softer low end torque than 300 pro XS, what would be easier is if Mercury just published torque curves for comparison.

12. Member
    You're probably right about that, and I would also like to see the torque curves. However, you could prop the 300r a little shorter to get back the low speed thrust since it has a higher rev limiter.

Also, there was info posted a while back that put the 350 vrod at 317 ftlb of torque at peak. Anyone venture a guess as to how much torque an 87 octane 4.6 v8 makes? Coincidentally, the 1999 32v 4.6 v8 cobra made 320 hp and 317 ftlb, redlining at 6500 rpm.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    You're probably right about that, and I would also like to see the torque curves. However, you could prop the 300r a little shorter to get back the low speed thrust since it has a higher rev limiter.

Also, there was info posted a while back that put the 350 vrod at 317 ftlb of torque at peak. Anyone venture a guess as to how much torque an 87 octane 4.6 v8 makes? Coincidentally, the 1999 32v 4.6 v8 cobra made 320 hp and 317 ftlb, redlining at 6500 rpm.
    I was thinking that though 200rpm is only going to be 1". I was also thinking automotive as that's my background and the 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG was a 3.2L V6 with a 1.8L eaton making 14.5 psi and 349hp@6100/332ftlb@4400 with 91 octane. I bet the V8 makes similar
    peak torque and maybe more off idle, but as soon as supercharger starts building boost it's probably making more which is going to be pretty instanteous with a small roots spinning hard enough to make 29psi peak. Now if you're not going to run premium fuel with Vrod, then I bet the results are a lot closer on hp and torque may favor the NA v8.
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-11-2018 at 08:15 AM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look at it as a 50hp difference. Plain and simple.

If you're happy with 50 less hp, and the savings, you will be thrilled with the 300 ProXS Fourstroke.

Otherwise... jump on the Verado.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I wish there were numbers out for the performance at altitude for both motors. As it looks as the boss aka wife now says we are staying in California not moving to Texas. I do fish at times in the mountain lakes and my current Skeeter with Mercury motor struggles at altitude. I am thinking on the side of the 350 Verado.

I am wondering would I need a different prop at high altitude with the 350 Verado? Dealer stated that Ranger will ship boat with a Bravo fs1 22p prop on the 350 Verado. I looked on the Mercury racing propeller site and recommends a Bravo LT1 22.5 or 23 pitch. But those test are all done at or near sea level.
    Making sure I do all my homework on this purchase as it is at 112k for this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I wish there were numbers out for the performance at altitude for both motors. As it looks as the boss aka wife now says we are staying in California not moving to Texas. I do fish at times in the mountain lakes and my current Skeeter with Mercury motor struggles at altitude. I am thinking on the side of the 350 Verado.

I am wondering would I need a different prop at high altitude with the 350 Verado? Dealer stated that Ranger will ship boat with a Bravo fs1 22p prop on the 350 Verado. I looked on the Mercury racing propeller site and recommends a Bravo LT1 22.5 or 23 pitch. But those test are all done at or near sea level.
    Making sure I do all my homework on this purchase as it is at 112k for this boat.
    The supercharger makes the engine less prone to struggles with altitude and heat. Probably will not need another pitch prop. My engine does not seem to care whether it is 90 or 40 outside.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    The supercharger makes the engine less prone to struggles with altitude and heat. Probably will not need another pitch prop. My engine does not seem to care whether it is 90 or 40 outside.
    Thanks iron banks for the reply. I was concerned about higher air temperatures also as it does get 105 plus degrees here in the central valley of California.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try it with just one prop... make sure it's propped for the top of the RPM range, normally loaded, in cooler weather at normal elevation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    I would not hesitate to buy the Verado. We have many Verados around on walleye boats. I have never met anyone that was disappointed with one, other than the fact that they get thirsty at WOT but what motor doesn't? I sat in the rear jump seats of a Lund Tyee the other weekend with a 300 Verado, right next the the motor and could have a conversation with the guy next to me at 50 MPH without yelling. The real question is do you want the extra 50HP?

The only other problem I have seen is the motor is so quiet that people forget they are running.