Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Al new calibers, pads. Brakes good except

Trailer bounces and bucks after a hard braking after dumping boat off in lake.
    Installed new 60 coupler,calibers, pads. Bleed system.
    Doesn't do the bucking and bouncing with boat in trailer,only does it with out boat on trailer.
    Air in lines, wet rotors,pads?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d be looking at the coupler to be sure it can slide forward easily after braking.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I figure most trailers will do the same under hard braking and no boat.

4. Member
    I puke say pretty normal, brakes are calibrated for a load, no load makes tired lock up and cause bounce. If your coupler has a brake lock out pin you can disable the brakes when boat is off.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Maybe I am over or underthinking this but isn't the amount of pressure applied with surge brakes dependant on the load that is pushing forward? Would an empty trailer have enough momentum to apply enough brake pressure to cause the trailer to hop? Mine has never done that empty even when braking hard, I assumed it was because there was not enough weight to apply brake pressure.
    Electric brakes sure, just never had surge brakes act that way.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    Maybe I am over or underthinking this but isn't the amount of pressure applied with surge brakes dependant on the load that is pushing forward? Would an empty trailer have enough momentum to apply enough brake pressure to cause the trailer to hop? Mine has never done that empty even when braking hard, I assumed it was because there was not enough weight to apply brake pressure.
    Electric brakes sure, just never had surge brakes act that way.
    You are exactly right. Surge brakes self adjust to the load. Something is wrong with OP’s brakes. Caliper bolts or sticking actuator would be my guesses
    nothing else matters.​

Must be a bunch more with the same problem.
    Granted they wont all do it.. Seen it several times on long steep boat ramps when someone is in a hurry and stomps the brakes.
    Next time your empty... get up to 40-50 mph and try stopping real fast.. Let me know what happens..

8. Member
    Installed another A60 on trailer. Same results. Still bounces and acts crazy when Trailer is empty. Trailer had all new rotors, calibers, pads, bolts before first A60 was installed. Guess Ill tear down the brakes and check anything not right.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Look at axle mounting and frame. Maybe the axle is moving.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You are exactly right. Surge brakes self adjust to the load. Something is wrong with OP’s brakes. Caliper bolts or sticking actuator would be my guesses
    This and the vertical load on the tires. The load. I also think something is wrong. Could it be an overfilled reservoir?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Banned
    Chasing a ghost.
    No weight on the tires, and wet brake pads.

If you want to know for sure, hit the brakes hard, roll ahead a bit, and jack it up to check for a badly stuck brake.

12. Member
    I think this is normal. If not, mechanically lock out the brakes and stop. If your lockout solenoid isn't working when you BACK UP it will bounce all over because the brakes are not locked out and will energize.

13. Scraps
    Trailer does bounce a lot when unloaded.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Trying now to get warranty on calibers and rotors, only thing left is those parts. Ufp isnt very open to listening and sending replacement parts. I havent heard back from ufp on warranty. Trailerpartssuperstore where I bought the parts just passed the buck and isnt helpful at all.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Trying now to get warranty on calibers and rotors, only thing left is those parts. Ufp isnt very open to listening and sending replacement parts. I havent heard back from ufp on warranty. Trailerpartssuperstore where I bought the parts just passed the buck and isnt helpful at all.
    Have you verified that the calipers are actually sticking on??
    If not, then UFP is right. You have no legitimate warranty claim.
    You got a light, unloaded trailer that is designed to have a ton of weight holding it down. It's not designed to act "normal" when unloaded.

16. Member
    If the brakes engage with no boat on the trailer I'd expect the tires to lock up in a forward direction and skid, and in reverse I'd expect it to bounce.
    I hope you find your problem.

My trailer does the same thing on occasion. Normal!

If the brakes are locked up driving around unloaded then you have a problem. Pretty easy to jack the trailer up and spin a wheel to find the bad one. Could also be a kinked or clogged brake line. You didn’t mention what condition your brake lines are in.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Chasing a ghost.
    No weight on the tires, and wet brake pads.

I figure most trailers will do the same under hard braking and no boat.

You got a light, unloaded trailer that is designed to have a ton of weight holding it down. It's not designed to act "normal" when unloaded.
    Must be a bunch more with the same problem.
    Granted they wont all do it.. Seen it several times on long steep boat ramps when someone is in a hurry and stomps the brakes.
    Next time your empty... get up to 40-50 mph and try stopping real fast.. Let me know what happen
    My trailer does the same thing on occasion. Normal!
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-30-2018 at 07:57 PM.

19. Member
    Next time it happens, get out and check that the actuator has slide back out or extended position.

Also while there push the emergency release on the bottom make sure it is not engaged. If it is, I would look at possibly incorrect routing of emergency cable.

Also you might try stopping, put the vehicle in reverse for a second (do not back up). This will/should release the pressure from the calipers.

When the A-60 assembly was replace was the break away cable routed correctly?

When the A-60 was installed did you apply light amount of grease to contact areas?

Inspect for smoothness inside square tubing for smooth surface area were the A-60 assembly slides back and forth.

Remove the large Pin closest to the boat (the pin that does NOT slide) . Your A-60 actuator should slide back and forth easily, no binding. (on some boat trailers may not be able to test this way, due to back side of clearance and possible wires for bypass solenoid)

It sounds like the A-60 actuator is not going back to its extended position when no weight is on trailer, possible binding.

The boat on the trailer is enough to pull it back out, but trailer alone is not.

What you describe points directly to the actuator assembly not sliding or binding in the trailer tube.
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Next time it happens, get out and check that the actuator has slide back out or extended position.

Also while there push the emergency release on the bottom make sure it is not engaged. If it is, I would look at possibly incorrect routing of emergency cable.

Also you might try stopping, put the vehicle in reverse for a second (do not back up). This will/should release the pressure from the calipers.

When the A-60 assembly was replace was the break away cable routed correctly?

When the A-60 was installed did you apply light amount of grease to contact areas?

Inspect for smoothness inside square tubing for smooth surface area were the A-60 assembly slides back and forth.

Remove the large Pin closest to the boat (the pin that does NOT slide) . Your A-60 actuator should slide back and forth easily, no binding. (on some boat trailers may not be able to test this way, due to back side of clearance and possible wires for bypass solenoid)

It sounds like the A-60 actuator is not going back to its extended position when no weight is on trailer, possible binding.

The boat on the trailer is enough to pull it back out, but trailer alone is not.

What you describe points directly to the actuator assembly not sliding or binding in the trailer tube.
    Excellent post. I originally assumed he had not disassembled the actuator and that it wasn't sticking or had a bad shock/spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast