Hatches coming loose bc rivets failing

Ok so here it goes. I noticed my hatches on my boat coming loose so I was gonna get new rivets and redo them all. However the old rivets wore a bigger hole in the fiberglass and now I cant get the rivets to work. So I thought I will put a wall jack (one of those little white or blue things you push into your dry wall to hang a picture) and it worked out perfect. Its actually stronger and more stabile than it was before. and i have a 21 ft ranger comanche and my hatches are heavy. when I say wall jack I mean the ones where you drill a hole in the dry wall and push a white plastic wall jack into the dry wall then put a screw into that. So I did this 6 years ago and have not had to replace them yet. Hope this helps out bc it was a quick and easy fix but has lasted a long time.

2. Member
    Good hint. Thanks.

3. Member
    Good tip. Here is another tip you can use. We do a lot of riveting at work. We use a stn. stl washer with the center hole just slightly larger than the rivet shank, and put the washer behind the bigger hole in the Fiberglas. Next take the rivet and press it thru all materials. You may have to get a slightly longer rivet, but this worked well for me when I re-did my hatches. Just another option.

4. Member
    Why not just use the next larger diameter rivet?

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I also used stainless washer behind the rivet when I re-did my rugs and compartment hinges earlier this year.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years