Ultrex cable came out

I do not know how this happened. This was my first time out using the new trolling motor. I looked down and this cable came out. Anyone with suggestions on putting it back in. Has this happened to others?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Curtis deCarion \'11 Z521 MERCURY 250 PRO XS

2. Member
    There is a black insert that holds it in (it clips in)...you are missing that. Same thing happened to me, the insert fell out, it's sorta half moon shaped.

It's item #22 on the parts chart link below, there are two different versions depending on your model Ultrex.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...7e33%7c%7e0003
    Last edited by mastergun; 07-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Your not missing anything. See this post.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=916483

4. Member
    From now on put the pull cable on the outside of the shaft when stowing and deploying. It will keep it from hitting that piece and pulling it out again

I watched it do this _____
    I had mine on spot lock -- while it was repositioning-- the bottom loop of the coil cord looped over the shaft collar knob.. when the motor turned back again it jerked the grommet out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Your not missing anything. See this post.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=916483
    Interesting, my Ultrex has one of the inserts I linked to on the Minn Kota parts.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Interesting, my Ultrex has one of the inserts I linked to on the Minn Kota parts.
    Yes sir I figure every Ultrex has that part.. Unless my eyes deceive me we are talking about two different things.. the picture shown is where the cables from the foot pedal enter the steering box. Your pic. is of the bottom of the head.

8. Member
    So how hard is this to put back. Kind of pi__es me off, 2300 for a trolling motor. Although spot lock it awesome. Was able to unhook, retie and keep fishing. love the frogs! Wohoo, CA delta

If you read the whole thread I posted above it gives two ways to do it...If you can do it like like I explain in the second post it's a lot simpler

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Yes sir I figure every Ultrex has that part.. Unless my eyes deceive me we are talking about two different things.. the picture shown is where the cables from the foot pedal enter the steering box. Your pic. is of the bottom of the head.
    Yep..my error, I though I was looking at where the cable goes into the bottom of the control head. I am idiot. :)

11. Member
    Thanks i got it back in. Pain in the arse

12. Member
    I have the same issue. When using spotlock, the cord got wrapped and pulled the cord out exposing the wires. So if I am reading this right, you can using some grease and a screwdriver to push that chunk of plastic back into that hole? I tried the screwdriver without the grease and it seemed impossible to do without jacking something up?

It can be done.. make sure the groves in the grommet line up with the bracket.
    You can also take it apart...
    The covers can be taken off to replace the wire grommet.. Remove the sight cover on top with the tab.. there are 2 screws in the bottom that will allow you to move motor cover connection enough to access 2 more screws that allow you to slide the coil cord cover up the cable jacket.. You can then install the coil cord grommet into it's groves and reassemble. It can be a PIA to get to at the screws and will take some time..

14. Member
    I guess I am just a slow learner... same thing happened to me this weekend. The boot to the cables that come from the footpedal and attach to the head portion pulled out. The coiled cable caught on the knob. Explain again what needs to be done? I am missing something in understanding how to fix it

16. Member
    yes I read it several times, I wasnt sure about the "grommet" if it was the cable boot/cover or a separate item. I guess I will get after it
    thanks FnF

Yes sir the coil cord "grommet" is the grooved rubber boot that goes over the cable where it enters the cover. The big groves on the bottom side of grommet fit into the cover.. There is a parts diagram on line at Minn Kota on line parts store.. It will help to show you how to disassemble if you cant get it back in with a screw driver and some lubricant.

18. Member
    Got it done, thx

19. Member
    A number of people I know have had this happen with the cable getting caught on the knob. If you don't need to raise or lower the shaft just take the knob off and save it. My motor is lowered all the way and I don't ever plan on raising it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by W.O.T View Post
    Got it done, thx