Quicksilver 90 SAE and Mercury High Performance Gear Lube

2B467439

I am doing the first lower unit gear lube change for my 20 hour break in service and wondered if these two oils can be mixed together? I believe they are both SAE 90 so I don't see why there would be any issue, but you all are the experts!

Thanks!
    Cameron

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do not mix the High Perf lube with standard
    Gear Lube.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So long as they both say high performance SAE 90 and are the green stuff they're the same. It's the new racing stuff that's brown/tan in color, 85w90, that isn't compatible.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

4. Member
    There are 3 Quicksilver lower unit lube formulations, Premium (80 - 90w), High Performance (90w), and Extreme Performance (85 - 90w) none of them should be mixed with the others. When I have to use Quicksilver, and because of the constant state of change with Quicksilver labels, I always look for the weight designation on the bottle for confirmation.

If your bottle label states precisely "90w" it is high performance - any other weight designation on the bottle means it is NOT high performance.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks for the information. Appreciate it guys.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    There are 3 Quicksilver lower unit lube formulations, Premium (80 - 90w), High Performance (90w), and Extreme Performance (85 - 90w) none of them should be mixed with the others. When I have to use Quicksilver, and because of the constant state of change with Quicksilver labels, I always look for the weight designation on the bottle for confirmation.

If your bottle label states precisely "90w" it is high performance - any other weight designation on the bottle means it is NOT high performance.
    Precisely correct- Thanks Phil!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax