Thread: Sportmaster POV

Hagen

Sportmaster POV

First off before you watch either turn volume down or mute it. The audio sucks, I have tried 2 different waterproof cases and ain't figured it out yet.

Me and my son got out and played around a little this weekend and I thought I would take a look at exactly where the water was striking the sportmaster. With people like cbailey and riverrocket making some pretty cool stuff to help with holeshot I have some ideas floating around that I would like to try. Also out of all the videos that I have seen in the past I haven't seen one down enough to be able to see everything I wanted to see.

With the foil I was actually surprised at how high up it is at speed and still help so much with bouncing.

Last edited by minnowlimo; 07-09-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Cuz I ain't real smart
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

Very nice vid. Man that sm nose is sticking up after getting out of the hole.

3. Banned
    What hull do you have?

4. Member
    I've been say it for years...the water does not come up from the pad on a sharp enough angle to hit the skid plate mounted the bottom of the jackplate to help with the holeshot. The skid plate only helps with backwash when sitting the boat down off plane (like jumping off a dock with water skies on, you sink slower) . If the skid plate was much lower or came back towards the motor a lot farther it would help with holeshot.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I've been say it for years...the water does not come up from the pad on a sharp enough angle to hit the skid plate mounted the bottom of the jackplate to help with the holeshot. The skid plate only helps with backwash when sitting the boat down off plane (like jumping off a dock with water skies on, you sink slower) . If the skid plate was much lower or came back towards the motor a lot farther it would help with holeshot.
    First thing I noticed it’s only in the water for a split second.

6. Banned
    That's an awesome video showing the lower from that angle. I bought the bottom plate for a good place to mount the side imaging transducer and to help the backwash. I want to try one of the foils for the hole shot though.

7. Hagen
    Boat is 20xd 12" plate set at 1 1/4 above the pad.

Paul you are exactly right, I remember you telling me this very thing years ago when I was looking for one. It kinda let the air out of my sail because so many people where telling me it would help. Bought and installed one and guess what. Nodda. Didn't help holeshot but did help backwash. Then adding balls helped even more.

It's funny you say that about extending the plate down because this is exactly what I plan to do. Stop it at the first step, even if it doesn't help with holeshot ( witch I am thinking it will) it will at least be more room for flotation. It appears that watching this that I could drop that far and it wouldnt affect it at all at higher speeds because it's still up high enough.

I think it will be interesting to see where and how the nose cone sits after adding wedges at slower speeds on plane.
    Last edited by minnowlimo; 07-09-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Cuz I can't spel 2 goud

Cool vid !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Great Vid Limo.....Interesting for sure!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

10. Member
    It looks to me that the water coming around the pad and hitting the foil would be a negative on the speed however it may not hit at top speed?

11. Hagen
    It's kinda hard for me to tell, I was tempted to put camera on bottom of skid plate looking directly into the nose but I am going to have to figure out different mounting options, because "IF" it did fall off it would destroy camera prop who knows what else I am going to try and find the time to put wedges on this weekend and then go from their. I am just trying to juggle to many tasks at the moment so it may be slow go.

12. Member
    What approx speed was yer vids?

13. Hagen
    80 or so? And when it's running pretty slow on pad was around 20-21. Was looking to see how slow I could run on pad and how it was hitting foil etc.

Pretty cool vids! Like to see more of your experimenting. I just made my own skid and top plate for mine. Getting ready to put them on in the next week or so.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

15. Member
    Very cool videos. I’m surprised to see how high the nose of the sportmaster is when running wide open. It’s no wonder you can’t run a torque master that high and have any water pressure. I’m even surprised at the amount of water pressure on a sportmaster when the nose is that high. I’m running almost the exact same setup. Maybe only 1 1/8 above pad and I’ve got like 18# of pressure.

Really great video. That is the shot I was looking for but never got before losing my camera in the attempt.

Different boat (Allison XB21), but here is what I tried and failed at many times. The last picture shows how forward the pad is and the different elevations at play with the XB21.

1st Attempt. Way too low. Pushed the nose down bad over 80. My goal was to drive it off of the jack plate.

2nd attempt. Attached to the bottom of the jackplate. Non pivoting design. Still too long and pushed the nose down around 90.

Take 3 All in with the actuator design. The wings were to use as a swim step for the kids to get in the boat. A built-in ladder if you will.

Make sure you make it beefy. As Paul mentioned, when you come off of plane the weight of the boat is on this plate and it will flex. I used too brittle of aluminum on my 1st attempt at version 3 and it broke within a month of use. I also have my transducers mounted to it. My earlier plates flexed and broke my Lowrance Total Scan Transducer.

Here is a better view of the angles at play. I have water lines and several of my plate designs modeled in. You can see the Ally pad is so far forward that the skid planner acts as a holeshot plate and the running surface. On an Allison all this work did nothing but look interesting and make for a fun winter project. The only benefit I have seen is the swim step, and before adding the power poles it eliminated the wet back deck from coming off of plane. I do think this pivoting style would be helpful on different boats that don't have the pad so far forward. I have used a data logger in every configuration (loaded, unloaded, small prop, large prop, hot weather,etc) and have seen no holeshot improvement.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    Great info there!!! I played with this stuff back in the 70's on a V hull and had similar observations.

18. Hagen
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, been trying to finish my house.

River rocket, thanks for all the info, I have looked through all of your stuff you have built and it's pretty impressive. After making my own holeshot plate. (Stationary) I ran into the same thing, pushes the nose down BAD. I have even narrowed it some and also raised it but you can still tell it's hurting it on top end, and also the first attempt killed my water pressure. I haven't been out in a long time and will do a little more testing but at this point I think it's going to be impossible to get much help from it without it being on an actuator. Which I probably won't do, I just fish and want the best holeshot possible without sacrificing to much on top end.