Swapping from Mercury to Yamaha

I’m wanting to swap from a Mercury to a Yamaha Sho but I have my motor financed with my boat and trailer. Is it still possible for me to purchase a Yamaha sho and sell my Mercury once the Yamaha comes in or am I stuck with it??

2. Member
    If your Mercury is encumbered with a lien, you would be unable to provide a clean bill of sale. Also, it's illegal to sell mortgaged property. But, if you work out a release or collateral substitution with the lender, you should be good.

3. Member

4. Member
    First find out if the Mercury is actually encumbered on the loan documents.Sometimes the loans are not structured that way. Also look at it this way. If that Mercury engine were to have blown you would still owe on it if it was encumbered on the loan and if you were out of the warranty period you eat the cost for replacement. So look at it as a replacement. Also are you aware that all your controls and gauges will need to be changed out with a engine swap from Mercury to Yamaha. Also if the state you are in has separate titling on the boat hull, the motor and the trailer that would be something to consider. Say like Texas. Best of luck on your swap if you decide that course of action.

5. Member
    Do you bank with your lender? Either way, should be able to work something out
    with them.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

6. Member
    Thanks guys, either way I’m swapping to a Yamaha and I’ll put my Mercury in my storage if I have to. I’ll have my new Sho ordered sometime tomorrow.. I can’t wait to see how it will perform on my boat

That 300xs giving you that much grief?

8. Member
    Yeah, it’s been nothing but a headache.. Now it is looking like I won’t be able to get a Yamaha until November!

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    Yeah, it’s been nothing but a headache.. Now it is looking like I won’t be able to get a Yamaha until November!
    Damn! I been hearing September, they gotta be doing some retooling or something

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    That was my first thought, be sure you can find one. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    I found a 225 sho in Florida but they are proud of that motor. They’re asking 19900 motor alone with no gauges or controls..