Potential Casting Rod Upgrade Questions—Older Loomis GLX to NRX

My current lineup of commonly used rods is as follows:
    MBR843 (2)
    MBR 844 (2)
    BCR 864
    BCR855

All of the above are the older, full-cork handled rods that were sold prior to the introduction of the split-grip GLX’s. I have held onto these rods because I like the feel of the full-grip, but am wondering if it’s time for me to give the split-grip NRX rods a try. I have read so many good reviews about them, I don’t want to miss out! The rods listed above handle all duties from spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, jigs, t-rig, c-rig, flipping, wobble heads, etc.... Pretty much only things I haven’t thrown or don’t use much are punching and big swimbaits. I am thinking of going to the following NRX lineup:
    893 (2)
    894 (2)

Here are my questions/asks:

1). I’d like to hear opinions from people that changed to split-grip from full-grip rods. Please share your likes and dislikes.

2). Will the proposed new lineup sufficiently cover all of the applications I have listed for my current rods’ duties? If not, what would be your recommendation and why?

3). Are the NRX rods that much more sensitive than the current GLX rods I own for the techniques I use?

4). My rod locker will only hold 7 footers. I’m consistent with putting a rod up when not using so as to avoid the potential for breakage due to getting stepped on. Are the longer rods worth the risk of not fitting in the rod locker?

Thank you you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Please share your thoughts!

2. Member
    1-I’ve used both. Used to prefer split grip but now I like full grip. With that being said it’s absolutely not enough to keep me from buying a rod. Just don’t look at it and you’ll hardly notice a difference

2-those are some of the best models in the nrx line. However the mbr rods are very versatile. I use mine for lots of different things. Nrx rods are bottom contact with a faster taper and the mbr are a little slower

3-yes

4-yes

if I were you I’d hang on to an mbr or two but still get some nrx for dedicated bottom contact

3. Member
    The NRX rods you list are great for bottom bouncing. The 894 my fav. I prefer your mbr's for moving baits

i had all 7'1 and below until new boat. Now 7'5 is my average
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor482 View Post
    My current lineup of commonly used rods is as follows:
    MBR843 (2)
    MBR 844 (2)
    BCR 864
    BCR855

All of the above are the older, full-cork handled rods that were sold prior to the introduction of the split-grip GLX’s. I have held onto these rods because I like the feel of the full-grip, but am wondering if it’s time for me to give the split-grip NRX rods a try. I have read so many good reviews about them, I don’t want to miss out! The rods listed above handle all duties from spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, jigs, t-rig, c-rig, flipping, wobble heads, etc.... Pretty much only things I haven’t thrown or don’t use much are punching and big swimbaits. I am thinking of going to the following NRX lineup:
    893 (2)
    894 (2)

Here are my questions/asks:

1). I’d like to hear opinions from people that changed to split-grip from full-grip rods. Please share your likes and dislikes.

2). Will the proposed new lineup sufficiently cover all of the applications I have listed for my current rods’ duties? If not, what would be your recommendation and why?

3). Are the NRX rods that much more sensitive than the current GLX rods I own for the techniques I use?

4). My rod locker will only hold 7 footers. I’m consistent with putting a rod up when not using so as to avoid the potential for breakage due to getting stepped on. Are the longer rods worth the risk of not fitting in the rod locker?

Thank you you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Please share your thoughts!
    1- i still prefer full grip.........new Conquest fit that bill for me........however my NRX are staying.....

2-yes but NRX IMO are too fast for moving baits.......the Conquest is better for that IMO....the 893 is an Awesome stick! I have three. Wacky senko its awesome. Love the 894 for big worm and 1/2 oz jig. You will love the 873 on a swing head and football head. I am also a big fan of the 854! (I have 4 of them) 3/8 jig and 1/4- 3/8 worm and beaver. The conquest are awesome swim bait sticks.....

3- I cant answer on the new GLX but They are more sensitive than the older for sure.

4- the rod locker thing is difficult as you cant ever get them in there for traveling ETC. I remember when 7’ was a long rod. I am also a big fan of the 854! (I have 4 of them) 3/8 jig and 1/4- 3/8 worm and beaver.

hope that helps

I own and fish all 3 upper end Loomis offerings, GLX, NRX, and Conquest along with 8 New IMX PRO. The New GLX is your best bang for the buck and I rarely know whether I have an NRX or GLX in my hand for bottom contact apps. I play with the Conquest 844 for small squarebills, and use my IMX Pros for all moving baits, top and bottom. They did an unbelievable job imho re-designing these. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

6. Member
    Thank you all for your feedback. Please keep it coming!