Prop to Pad measuring......................

The torqueing balance thread got me to reading the red book again. I have apparently been measuring this wrong and have been running deeper than I thought I was. Not enough to make a huge difference I don't think but, just thought I would share with those who may not have read it. The point to measure from on the pad is 2-3 inches forward of the edge of the pad. I have always measure from the lowest point on the back of the pad. Turns out that is incorrect.

2. Member
    Depending on lip height, very little difference. Only about 1/16" difference with lip height of .060.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    splitting hairs IMO....not enough to make a difference, again IMO
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    splitting hairs IMO....not enough to make a difference, again IMO
    I agree with Bob and Tim, very little difference and splitting hairs.

I have found (as others have not mentioning any names) repeatability of measurements is not as easy as it seems. Requires a precise amout of beer to get right!! Isn't that right Tim lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I have found (as others have not mentioning any names) repeatability of measurements is not as easy as it seems. Requires a precise amout of beer to get right!! Isn't that right Tim lol
    Yep, basically level means level. If the surface you are measuring to isn't level. Or if the bottom of the boat isn't level. Or if the prop shaft isn't level, results WILL NOT be correct. Sound simple? It is but it is also very easy to screw up. Only after you have achieved repeatability have you actually mastered it.

I always wondered how some could say they were (2-3/8) above or (1/4) below.
    Heck I could unhook and level the boat, level the motor and measure. Hook back up, go around the block ,do the same thing again and be lucky to get within a 1/2"..... without ever touching the jack plate. But my eyes and my level are getting old. Mater of fact my kid told me I was about 1/4 bubble off plumb anyhow.

The back of the prop shaft sits about 60” back from the pad on my boat. Most will be in the mid 50’s. Using a standard garage level you can be off. Especially if you use the measure from the pad to the floor and the prop shaft to the floor method. Bubble levels you get at most stores are crap and not very repeatable. And if they do not have a lot of increment lines it’s hard to notice a fine amount of degrees off. 1 degree off is about 1” at 60” of length. If your level is off or the angle you are reading it at produces error and the floor isn’t perfectly level you will get a lot of error introduced.

I’m a fan of using an angle finder. At least you can see how many degrees you are off.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    I hate measuring. But if it’s too low they drive terrible at 80+. If it’s too high they seem to try to swap ends in the mid range?

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I hate measuring. But if it’s too low they drive terrible at 80+. If it’s too high they seem to try to swap ends in the mid range?
    I can attest the blowouts leaves ya feeling skiddish!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

I can attest the blowouts leaves ya feeling skiddish!!
    As in skidd marks in yer fruit o looms...

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    As in skidd marks in yer fruit o looms...
    The last one got my undivided attention. I think my vinyl seat has finally healed up! lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

13. Member
    The last one got my undivided attention. I think my vinyl seat has finally healed up! lol
    Just be glad it's only boat parts that need to be healed up..................far worse when it's your body parts.

So that was a step above skidd marks... those were Teeth marks !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Just be glad it's only boat parts that need to be healed up..................far worse when it's your body parts.
    I was fortunate that my boat just did a slight uncomfortable partial turn! No actual damage just teeth marks in the seat. I decided my boat did not like that particular labbed wheel as I did not fully heed the first slower warning sign I was given. Lowering engine height and lightening up the bow only allowed faster speed than what I found on the first blowout. I did not try for a third time!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

16. BBC SPONSOR

I am not sure if its not enough or too much

Teeth Marks!!!!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0