Vault hubs getting hot..hear hissing noise

Hi All

Bought a new to me 2013 Basscat P4

Vault hubs are new to me as everything else I owned was Bearing buddy

Any advice?

This link will be helpful.
    From my experience, there are some things to watch:
    Be sure to use only the approved hybrid grease.
    Be sure to clean the SS cap and apply Lok-Tite. This hub is very heavy and needs the Lok-Tite to hold it in place.
    Don’t forget to remove the Zert fitting from the end of the spindle.
    Don’t overfill with grease.

http://www.waymires.com/support_docu...structions.pdf

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

If your hubs are so hot they hiss you have s problem. Lift the wheels off the ground and check for any side play. Shouldn’t any. Listen and feel to make sure you don’t have a rumbling noise. If all that checks out you probably have a caliper hanging up causing your heat problem.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Thank you both..

Interesting..bought this boat 900 miles from home, checked hubs at each stop. About the 3 or 4th stop I noticed one of the hub small caps/chrome covers was chipping and rusty and the cap was warm..thought "oh crap" next stop , hub was cool like the rest. The boat had sit for afew years in a warehouse not being used prior to me buying. I had one tournament out of it so far and minimal usage over the past couple months since purchasing..I took it out Sunday about 40 mins from home (30+ miles) and it was hot and hissing. I did notice these 2 hubs now were hot and they are the 2 on a 4 wheel dual axle 2013 Basscat trailer with the brakes as the 2 hubs that were cool do not the brakes.

Rebuild kit ordered for vault hubs..how do i correct the "caliper hanging up" if it turns out its nothing else?

5. Member
    If both hubs with brakes were hot, I would be less inclined to think hung caliper. More likely an actuator problem, Boat trailer sit level when hooked up? Was that trip particularly hilly or have lots of braking?

6. Member
    I would also look at the brakes. Which actuator do you have?? Which brakes do your have? I had a similar experience, although never hissing hot. I was paranoid it was the hubs and finally dug into everything in the last couple weeks.

1. When jacked up, after sitting a while, my wheels spin free (10-12 revolutions with little to no rubbing).
    2. I would get a fair amount of heat thought in the wheels and hubs when driving with a lot braking. I felt there was some drag in the trailer that would eventually “let go”.

I looked at my actuator which is a UFP A60. There is a “swirl test”. Mine was NOT passing the swirl test. So I bought a new actuator inner member and bled and installed it. Just did a 500 mile round trip and all was perfect. I’d get warmth with a lot of stopping and hills, but never HOT. Without braking, the wheels were actually cool to the touch, even with it being 80 degrees out. With the old actuator, I am convinced it was dragging and on long hauls it would eventually release so that I never go glowing hot, but hotter than it should Have been.

Bottom line, check that actuator!!!

My trailer is a 2009 and I had never touched anything other than bleeding the brakes. I checked the grease in the hubs a couple weeks ago even though I had no signs of leaking, but the “button” was not sticking out at all on the cap. They looked good and were still full of grease. It was a little runnier than the new stuff in the tube (hybrid oil) so I let some run out and refilled the cap and pumped some fresh slowing through the zerk in the hub. Based on stuff online, I used loctite RED to reinstall the cap. — technically they are only one use. FYI - the zerk/NPT mentioned in the instructions was not right. It is much smaller than 1/4”. .

There are some great YouTube videos and links out there with information on Vault Hubs and A60 Actuators. Also a wealth of info here on BBC.

Tim
    Last edited by hoytkimbershimano; 07-11-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Stupid spell check/auto correct

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info

Myself and a bud bled the brakes yesterday..and I tore into the 2 vault hubs with the brakes

Neither were hung..each wheel would spin once jacked up, yet there was slight rubbing but would turn freely. Also , the calipers were very loose if the pads were not slightly rubbing. I take it this is normal and should be rubbing slightly?

One thing we did notice , one wheel had side to side movement...who in gods name came up with the "torsion axle" and what exactly are they good for? Turned out the 150ft lb nut/bolt needed to be tightened.

Also, my brakes only had one bleeder on furthest away from front (Basscat 2013 P4) Other caliper had hose connection from one caliper to other

Next T is coming up..we will see how they work..

Trip from Indiana was a bit hilly and allot of braking..pads are worn and will be replaced before next year...I will replace everything if need be

Thanks guys for all your help!

One thing we noticed is we never got a stream of oil when bleeding the brakes? Whether we used actuator or harbor freight bleeder kit..is this normal?

9. Member
    Many times the vacuum blender will pull air around the fitting and will never be a fully bubble free stream however when bleeding with the actuator you should be able to get completely bubble free but the volume of each stroke is low. You will have to use teamwork so that the bleeder is completely closed every time you are letting the actuator piston come back. With one guy you will need a speed bleeder check type fitting or close the bleeder, push actuator piston to lock, open/close bleeder, repeat.

10. Member
    Is your safety breakaway cable still place with the “C” clip installed too? Mine was completely yanked out and I think that contributed to my issues.

11. Member
    Also - I have brakes on both axles with only one bleeder...