Caught a couple today!

Went to the way back of chickamuxen. Had a small limit. Incoming tide, bite quit at slack tide. Saw a couple of heads but could not get them to bite. River is still so dirty with debris everywhere. Somebody sunk their powerboat just north of the mouth of the Chic. Found some nice river grass but you can't see it. So it's not all dying.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

2. Member

3. Member
    Was it hydrilla/coontail/eelgrass or milfoil. Hate to say it but I bet I know the answer. This is bad news for the river if it doesn't change.

4. Member
    I fished Aquia this weekend. Most of the grass I found was eelgrass and shallow solid blankets of hydrilla. I did find some deeper coarser hydrilla that held a few bass but found very little to no millfoil....every year it seems like the hydrilla and eelgrass take over more and more.

5. Member
    I also idled/scanned most of Arkandal and only found a few small patches there. It had been a few years since I fished that so maybe this has been the norm but was disappointing to say the least.

6. Member
    Main river grass was prominently coontail. With a lone thread of hydrilla, like ten in a 50yrd stretch.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

7. mikesxpress
    The grass locations, type, and longevity changes every year. The abundance of fresh water has kept the algae blooms down and saltwater intrusion down but added allot of suspended solids that settle out on the grass in areas that lack moving water. That stops photosynthesis and depending on the grass type, the grass dies.
    Were now entering our dry season and the saltwater will begin creeping upriver which will also kill off some of the grass and the algae blooms will begin in the creeks and slow moving areas of the main river. Same thing every year. The fish just move around following the food. Plus is the concentrations of fish are more pronounced. And now that the water temp is climbing toward 80, it's approaching optimum frog time!!!

8. Member
    No milfoil=bad news. That stuff makes for amazing spawns. Hopefully hydrilla mats in the next month so the little guys have a place to hide.

9. mikesxpress
    It's all good. It all changes. The fish are still there.

Half day brim outing before the holiday madness started. Back to the saltwater.