98 opti 6th tracker valve!!!????

Og743300 225.........ordered a new purple tracker fron don about 2 weeks ago. Installed it last sunday and made it out 3 times until today. While out i noticed a slight miss then the tale tale up down in rom and a gas smell. Sure enough the purple tracker failed again. So far the best one has been one i made out of a old air pressure diaphragm. This cant be normal. They all fail around the washer in the middle. Right where the rubber starts coming from under the washer it slowly tears until it goes through. I was using old ones but was told on here that until i bought a new one i couldnt expect any other result. Well new one lasted the least amount of time. Im not installing them wrong and i have inspected everything i have been told to. There has to be something im missing. This is getting crazy!!! 128$ a pop from don and it made it a week. What in gods name could cause this besides a bad compresser eating the tracker? The way its failing looks like the rubber cant handle the pressure. I cant figure out how to post a pic or i would

Have you performed air and fuel pressure tests? I would tend to think of extreme pressure difference as a cause or installation errors, Had a air pump fail?
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Have you performed air and fuel pressure tests? I would tend to think of extreme pressure difference as a cause or installation errors, Had a air pump fail?
    Never had any failure other than tracker. Air and fuel pressures after installation are at the normal 10psi difference. I install one tracker and go 4 months then the next last 1 month then i make one it goes 6 months then i buy a new purple one or goes 1 week. Its so random thats whats getting to me. Motor runs perfect after i install new tracker. Made a 32 mile run saturday on the purple tracker then sunday while out with the family it blows. The random nature of this makes no sense.

Do they fail on startup for when running
    Maybe something in the housing for the valve has changed allowing to much travel overstressing it since it is failing around the center section
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Do they fail on startup for when running
    Maybe something in the housing for the valve has changed allowing to much travel overstressing it since it is failing around the center section
    They slowly give out over time. Usually happens randomly to be honest. Doesnt seem to matter if im running or not. I have started checking it before tourneys and notice it begins to tear but may take a week worths of outing before it makes it all the way through. Yesterday i first noticed signs after a 30 minute run at half throttle going about 35 to 40. Came off plane and noticed a miss. Fished for 2 hours and on my run back everytime i went theougha no wake zone it got worse. Got to ramp and it barely ran at all. The amount of damage to the tracker didnt happen at once. It tore lil by lil until it finally made it through

6. Member
    Let's here how the story ends!!!

7. Member
    Click on this and read Don's recommendations >>>> Just tore my 3rd tracker valve in 6 months!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Click on this and read Don's recommendations >>>> Just tore my 3rd tracker valve in 6 months!!
    If my compresser had failed that would be a good thing to check. No failures here. I have inspected my compresser 4 times following threads on here and its spotless. Good oiling and no metal at all.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Mariner View Post
    Let's here how the story ends!!!
    Ill gladly post how i resolve this but seems like its a mystery i guess. I hope to figure out something this is getting expensive..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    Ill gladly post how i resolve this but seems like its a mystery i guess. I hope to figure out something this is getting expensive..lol.
    I have been studying this valve and trying to come up with why some are having repeated failures and others have no failure with years of service and I have a couple of ideas that could cause premature failures

The adjuster screw for setting the pressure is off center in the cover.....would require cover replacement

The spring being defective. when applying pressure on the valve it may not be applying it equally, meaning it is pushing down with more force on one side than the other which would cause it to fail right at the contact with the center section...….
    would require cover replacement

Last if the insert that it seal against is set to low allowing the valve to over extend...….
    would require replacement of the fuel rail or a machinist to replace it and set it to the proper height if you could find the spec for the proper dimension

In your case I think I would consider replacement of the cover with a new spring and the cup

Maybe Don Joe or Savage will comment on my thoughts on this, If some one has a rail that is good, that a measurement with a strait edge and depth gauge could be taken. That would be valuable info I think
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-09-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    I have been studying this valve and trying to come up with why some are having repeated failures and others have no failure with years of service and I have a couple of ideas that could cause premature failures

The adjuster screw for setting the pressure is off center in the cover.....would require cover replacement

The spring being defective. when applying pressure on the valve it may not be applying it equally, meaning it is pushing down with more force on one side than the other which would cause it to fail right at the contact with the center section...….
    would require cover replacement

Last if the insert that it seal against is set to low forcing the valve to over extend...….
    would require replacement of the fuel rail or a machinist to replace it and set it to the proper height if you could find the spec for the proper dimension

In your case I think I would consider replacement of the cover with a new spring and the cup

Maybe Don Joe or Savage will comment on my thoughts on this, If some one has a rail that is good, that a measurement with a strait edge and depth gauge could be taken. That would be valuable info I think
    All that makes sense for sure. I have also studied them some. Mine all start to fail on the rail side of the tracker. If im not mistaken thats the side with fuel pressure. The tears start on that side then slowly make there way through. If i had a compresser issue wouldn't the opposite side be damaged first? I may have it backwards just pondering. I have old trackers i have removed to inspect and they have the beginnings of tears on the rail side of when there installed. Seems like dirty fuel but the tear so smoothly not like shrapnel tear,holes but like over stressing tears. All tears are in the recessed part of the rubber just outside the center washer. Always exactly the same way too. Im computer dumb i guess cause i cant get a pic to post for crap. Thank u mr pugh for discussing this with me

12. Member
    Just so its here i checked my air and fuel pressures amd im getting exactly 81 psi air and 91 psi fuel. They both hold perfectly steady at idle. I have no way to. Check pressures at wot at this moment but will soon

13. Member
    how many hrs from new did original tracker run ??? Merc oem parts have 1 year warranty
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    how many hrs from new did original tracker run ??? Merc oem parts have 1 year warranty
    I bought the boat used 2 years ago. I have no idea. The owner i bought it from moved and i havent been able to ask him.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    Just so its here i checked my air and fuel pressures amd im getting exactly 81 psi air and 91 psi fuel. They both hold perfectly steady at idle. I have no way to. Check pressures at wot at this moment but will soon
    That's good.

New OEM Mercury/Quicksilver Parts carry a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty against defects in Materials or Workmanship, when properly installed and used as directed or intended.

ANY Mercury Dealer can file a P&A Claim for you, with RECEIPT for original purchase showing part number and date of purchase.

If purchased through our Parts Department, you are also welcome to send the part (and copy of receipt) to me directly, for inspection and claim.

Can't help much on the used and home-made ones... but should be able to assist you with the new one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's good.

New OEM Mercury/Quicksilver Parts carry a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty against defects in Materials or Workmanship, when properly installed and used as directed or intended.

ANY Mercury Dealer can file a P&A Claim for you, with RECEIPT for original purchase showing part number and date of purchase.

If purchased through our Parts Department, you are also welcome to send the part (and copy of receipt) to me directly, for inspection and claim.

Can't help much on the used and home-made ones... but should be able to assist you with the new one.
    Well crap i already ordered a new one from rhonda and its backordered. So can i still send it in? My receipt is on my order form i believe. I ordered the first one from Rhonda over the phone and the second straight from the site. Ill call monday to speak to you all. Thanks don i appreciate it

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem- just get the bad one in to us within the 1-year Warranty Period with Proof of Purchase (we can assist with a copy from our system if purchased here).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor