Thread: Themocline?

Themocline?

First time out with my 73sv on a real hot day. I have heard that sometimes you can see the thermocline on a graph. Anytime i was in water deeper than 20ft I would have a line around that mark all the way to the bottom. Whenever I was in water shallower nothing. At first I thought it might be interference from my Lowrance flasher that I use for high speed runs so I cut it off and still saw it. Has anybody else seen this?
    2004 Skeeter ZX225 Yamaha HPDI 225

2. Member
    Thermoclines vary by lake and region. It usually shows up as a speckled band at a specific depth range. I've seen some posts where people say that in their lake they only find fish above the thermocline. On my lake from now until late January most of my fishing will be below the thermocline as the fish go there to get below the warmer layers.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    In Texas when the thermocline sets in the oxygen levels below the thermocline decrease. When fishing for stripers during the summer thermocline I always find the fish just above it. You can drop a live shad below the thermocline and it will die rather quick. When dropping the shad just above the thermocline it will stay alive until a fish hits it. If you can find a hump or slope that comes up out of the thermocline then it is game on. When the water cools in the fall the water will stratify and do what's called a lake turnover. Fishing is rather slow during this process.

4. Member
    Same here in Northeast Texas my little favorite little lake has no current and the thermocline starts around 15’ I’ve caught zero crappie or bass below it. But that 12 to 14’ mark is chalked full of life haha

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Thermoclines vary by lake and region. It usually shows up as a speckled band at a specific depth range. I've seen some posts where people say that in their lake they only find fish above the thermocline. On my lake from now until late January most of my fishing will be below the thermocline as the fish go there to get below the warmer layers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL