Panoptix question

I recently installed an echomap 93SV chirp on the bow with a PS-31 transducer on the trolling motor. I updated to the latest software yesterday and took it out today. I’m not sure if I haven’t got it set up right or if my expectations are too high, but I’m not really able to see my bait out past 10’ or so in front of the boat. I’ve thrown everything from a 3/8 oz Texas rig to a 5xd and every time I can only see it when it’s halfway up the water column on the retreive. I really kind of had the impression I’d at least be able to see a crankbait running out to about 20’ or so, but that really hasn’t been the case. Any recommendations for settings I should try, or were my expectations just too high?

thanks

b
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

2. Member
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

Yes, something is off. I can always see any size lure out to at least 35-40 feet. With larger lures, like an umbrella rig, can see it out to 60+ feet. This is with all default settings, and a manual forward range of 70 feet.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Banned
    Todd is the PS31 any different than the PS21 ( trolling motor version) when seeing baits? I was wondering because I don't see lures as far as you do either.

5. Member
    Todd is the PS31 any different than the PS21 ( trolling motor version) when seeing baits? I was wondering because I don't see lures as far as you do either.
    X2

Next question is what size/type of baits are you see at those distances?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, something is off. I can always see any size lure out to at least 35-40 feet. With larger lures, like an umbrella rig, can see it out to 60+ feet. This is with all default settings, and a manual forward range of 70 feet.
    Same story. I use spoons quite a bit; 1/2 oz to 1 oz. I can see the 1/2 oz out to 60 ft, IF IF IF. The pointing has to be dead on. The Panoptix cone is not like a 2d cone. With 2d the farther away from the boat you get the wider the cone gets. With Panoptix, seeing your lure the farther away from the boat you get the better you have to be at pointing the xd exactly at it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    How small/light of lures are we talking? If I throw a wacky rigged senko (2/0 hook, 5" senko), should I be able to see it out to 40-50'?

8. Member
    I’m throwing a 3/8oz Texas rig with a D-Bomb or a 5xd
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

9. Member
    Prior to updating to 4.30 I had set the cone angle on my Panoptix to 40 degrees in an effort to see the bait batter. I didn't think to check it again after the update to see if it had defaulted. Is that something I need to do as well? What other settings should I be looking at?
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9